cascade combo box (1 Viewer)

yammers4

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:56
Hi I wounder if anyone can help with this. a friend of mine manage to create a cascade combo box on the data entry form, it works when you select leage type smethwick or south staffs it then shows in the our team combo box the teams linked to that division, however I have tried to copy the design and use the same setup in the oposition drop down box but it does not work, could someone have a look for me please to get it to work.

i dealy I only want to selet the teams from the table labled leage teams but do not mind if two table for our teams and opposition teams have to be used. Its just this one thing then the databse is ready to go ready for the league that starts next week.

Attachments

• Langley B Player Stats and Averages.zip
    475.6 KB · Views: 689

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:56
For cascading combos to work, each combo uses a query as its RowSource and that query refers to the previous combo to filter the selected records. Then you use the AfterUpdate events of the combos to force subsequent combos to requery so their selection lists are updated.
AfterUpdate event for combo1:
Me.cboSecondCombo.Requery
Me.cboThirdcombo = null
Me.cboFourthcombo = null
AfterUpdate event for combo2:
Me.cboThirdCombo.Requery
Me.cboFourthCombo = Null
AfterUpdate event for combo3:
Me.cboFourthCombo.Requery

qry2:
Select ... From ... Where SomeField = Forms!yourform!cboFirstCombo;

qry3:
Select ... From ... Where SomeField = Forms!yourform!cboSecondCombo;

qry4:
Select ... From ... Where SomeField = Forms!yourform!cboThirdCombo;

The solution becomes more complex when you have a continuous form. I created a sample database a few years ago that explains the problem and demonstrates the solution that I use.

Attachments

• FixCascadingCombos.zip
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,652
Last edited:

YNWA

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:56
For cascading combos to work, each combo uses a query as its RecordSource and that query refers to the previous combo to filter the selected records. Then you use the AfterUpdate events of the combos to force subsequent combos to requery so their selection lists are updated.
AfterUpdate event for combo1:
Me.cboSecondCombo.Requery
Me.cboThirdcombo = null
Me.cboFourthcombo = null
AfterUpdate event for combo2:
Me.cboThirdCombo.Requery
Me.cboFourthCombo = Null
AfterUpdate event for combo3:
Me.cboFourthCombo.Requery

qry2:
Select ... From ... Where SomeField = Forms!yourform!cboFirstCombo;

qry3:
Select ... From ... Where SomeField = Forms!yourform!cboSecondCombo;

qry4:
Select ... From ... Where SomeField = Forms!yourform!cboThirdCombo;

The solution becomes more complex when you have a continuous form. I created a sample database a few years ago that explains the problem and demonstrates the solution that I use.

Hi pat,

Are you familiar with the Northwind database?

I am looking at editing the Order form and putting in a combo to select a Company.

Then i want to do the cascade after update on this field, but then options in my second combo (Products) to filter based on company.

The Northwind db does not use a query on the products combo, is this a major problem?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No. Just make your own query with the necessary selection criteria.

mpicco-RCS

Local time
Today, 04:56
Under the Properties for one of my combo boxes, I see Row Source and Control Source. You refer to RecordSource in your post. Is this the same as the Row Source?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Under the Properties for one of my combo boxes, I see Row Source and Control Source. You refer to RecordSource in your post. Is this the same as the Row Source?

Record Source = The property of a form which is either a table name, query name, or Select statement to which that form is then considered "bound."

Row Source = The property of a combo box, list box and some other controls like chart, etc. which is a table name, query name, or Select statement. This is what lets it display the selections.

Control Source = The property of a control (including combo boxes, listboxes, text boxes, and more) which can be a field name from the form's record source or an expression like =Avg([FieldName]) for one example.

Hope that helps.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks Bob. I edited my post to correct the mis-statement.

accessuser67

Registered User.
Local time
I have 2 combo box also and but when I put the second combo box to filter based on the first combo box I get a blank second combo box, no records to select. Do I have to use the request and got focus code to make it work.

It's just a simple 2 combo box where after I select record from the first combo I want that selection to filter my second combo box.

Please help.

Regards.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Welcome aboard:)
Did you try to use what I posted? Please post your own code including the procedure headers.

accessuser67

Registered User.
Local time
Somehow I got the combo boxes to work but now the second combo box is malfunctioning. Not sure if I'm suppose to write more code.

I have a form with two combo box cascading as it is known. The second combo box uses selection from the first combo box to filter the drop down list in the second combo box. It worked fine but now the second combo box just sticks on the first record in the drop down list when I try to select from the drop down list. Do I need to write more code for refreshingly the box. It refreshes it just doesn't allow me to select another record from the list.

Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Regards.

Alansidman

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:56
Suggest you post your code as Pat has asked. We are not mind readers here. We don't know what your code looks like unless you show us. Without that information how can we determine if you are missing anything in your code?

Alan

accessuser67

Registered User.
Local time
SELECT CategoryAisle.Store, CategoryAisle.Category, CategoryAisle.Aisle FROM CategoryAisle WHERE (((CategoryAisle.Store)=[Forms]![GroceryF]![StoreCombo])) ORDER BY CategoryAisle.Category;

That is the code from the second combo box.

The first combo box code is SELECT [Stores].[StoreID], [Stores].[Store] FROM Stores ORDER BY [Store];

And a text box control source that relies on the second combo box is
=[CategoryCombo].[column](2)

Regards.

Alansidman

AWF VIP
Local time
Did you write the afterupdate code as indicated in the earlier threads? You didn't include that in your last thread. Also, have you set the width of the combo box in the format to something other than zero width? It is possible that it is just not being displayed if you have not set the width in the properties for the combo box.

accessuser67

Registered User.
Local time
Yes I have the after update me.categorycombo.requery.

But now the categorycombo box just sticks on the first record in the drop down list and it would not move to another selection in the drop down list.

This seems like a microsoft access glitch.

Please help.

Regards.

Alansidman

AWF VIP
Local time
I think it is time for you to provide a copy of your db for analysis. Dummy up any confidential information. Limit the size to a representative sample of data. Run a compact and repair before uploading. Click on the Go Advanced button and follow the wizard to upload.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If the combo box is locked, the most likely reason (assuming you didn't do it deliberately) is the columns setting is incorrect. Open the Rowsource query and count the columns. Make sure you have accounted for all of them in the columns and column headings properties.

accessuser67

Registered User.
Local time
I think maybe there is a glitch in the Microsoft Access 2010 program. I tried just about every feature of the combo box CategoryCombo and still it sticks on the first record of the drop down box.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Attachments

• Receipts (2).zip
    110.7 KB · Views: 178

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Okay

1. StoreID should be the PRIMARY KEY of your Stores table.

2. StoreID should be the field in the CategoryAisle table which ties it to the store, not the name.

3. Looks like the tables need a bit of work (redesign). I'm working on it to show you how but I have to go shopping now so it may be a little bit. I suggest not trying to "band-aid" this and actually structure the tables in a normalized fashion.

4. To go with the first couple of items - you should store TEXT in ONE place and store ID numbers for those values in the rest of the tables. For example, Store Name should be in one table ONLY and StoreID should be the identifier in other tables.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Did you actually count the columns in the RowSource and compare that to the number in the columns property?

accessuser67

Registered User.
Local time
I have the second combo box CategoryCombo that sticks only on the first record on the drop down list. It doesnt allow me to select another record from the drop down.

I think it is a Microsoft Access glitch. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Attachments

• Receipts (2).zip
    110.7 KB · Views: 198

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom