Virtual Machine (1 Viewer)

Freshman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:50
Hi guys,
I have a bit of a strange request for input here.
I work for a corporate company but am also a Access developer hobbits in my own time.
I started on A2003 years ago and still love that more than the modern versions.
I use my company PC for that (well for everything).
However the IT guys called me due to the fact that I'm running Office 2013 without Access 2013 and then only Access 2003 on the side.
They are worried about security issues now that Access 2003 is not supported anymore.
They forcing me to uninstall A2003 and install A2013. Grrr

I initially though of buying another PC just for A2003 to use but it is a pain to have to deal with 2 PCs.
Would Virtual Machine be an option or would the IT guys still see that I've for A2003 running on it.
Any other advice?
PS: I really don't want to move over to A2013. Mostly due to the ribbon.

Thanks

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 06:50
A virtual Machine or Citirx isn't a bad idea.

I just moved to Access 2013. I have used all versions of Access since Ver 1.x
Really missed A2003 too.
However, time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas.
Suggest you make the jump.
Be sure to open a empty A2013 and Import All Objects from A2003 application.

Freshman

Registered User.
Local time
@Rx - Thanks for the advice.
Is importing objects better than opening and converting base to 2013?

Also - any advice on the ribbon.
Thanks

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:50
Importing - definitely the way to go, make sure you include all the menus objects etc.. The conversion process seems to break things occasionally.

The ribbon - http://www.accessribbon.de/en/ is by far the best resource. I don't get on with it, but it's there and I really must get round to fiddling with it.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 06:50
absolutely import!

Spoiler Alert
Two of us with Windows 7 - one of us with Access 2010 - the other with Access 2013

Access 2010 - would not error - a very complex form with many business rule and a lot of VBA - form would not fail. VBA compiled no problems.

Same file on Access 2013 - Application fault failure every time at the same place. VBA compiled no problem. It had just opened a Access 2010 application and let Access 2013 make the upgrade.

For my associate programmer, I had him create a new blank Access 2013 project. Take the several forms / subforms for the form that had an Application error. Import those forms / subforms into the empty new Access 2013. Then in the code module, Compile. Fifteen issues appeared.
We fixed those. Deleted the original form / subforms and imported in the same form / subform from the new blank Access.
The key here is that the Access VBA Compiler would not find object errors unless it was imported.

The AppCrash, I documented that in a different post. The Access 2013 will not handle multiple complex events as well as Access 2010.

Bottom line - Create a blank DB in 2013 and import all objects. Then go match the DB settings (e.g. Start up form, etc. )

Freshman

Registered User.
Local time
@Rx - thanks for the detailed report.
I haven't moved over yet and already missing A2003 :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom