Dick S
Local time
Today, 04:25
Free hosting
Disk space: 1GB
Monthly Traffic: 10GB
Domains Hosted: 3
MySQL(v.5.1)/ 10MB

does monthly traffic 10gb mean in the above ad mean download amount of bytes or does it mean even just browsing, or other. What should I look for if I was to have a 14000 record db hosted that will only be visited by a very limited amount of people?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:25
it typically means upload and download whether it be data or web pages - the max allowed size of your db is 10mb which is not very big - access allows 2gb so only 5%. But you would be able to upload/download your entire db 100 times before hitting the monthly limit. Whether 14000 records will fit in 10mb depends on the size of the records and the level of indexing - assuming your existing access (tables only) back end is less than 10mb you should be OK. The rest of the disk space will be for your website pages etc.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
You mention MySQL hosting, I don't know if I've got this right, but I understand that some hosting companies have stopped letting people have access to MySQL directly, they only let you have access to it if you are using, like, WordPress.

I said I'm not sure if I've got that right but I'm sure I read that somewhere recently! If it is true it's worth making sure you can get the access rights you need before you sign up.

By the way I use 4D Hosting. http://www.4dhosting.com/ I have always found them helpful. BTW - it might be on their website where I read about the MySQL issue!

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 04:25
it typically means upload and download whether it be data or web pages - the max allowed size of your db is 10mb which is not very big - access allows 2gb so only 5%. But you would be able to upload/download your entire db 100 times before hitting the monthly limit. Whether 14000 records will fit in 10mb depends on the size of the records and the level of indexing - assuming your existing access (tables only) back end is less than 10mb you should be OK. The rest of the disk space will be for your website pages etc.

CJ thanks for answering. Lets see if I understand you correctly. If all I have are my tables / back end on a server, then there would not be any web pages, Is that correct? If I open up my db and enter a new record that is upload, is that correct? How to I determine what size my tables are? I right click on table properties but it just gives me modified date.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If all I have are my tables / back end on a server, then there would not be any web pages
You are missing Unc's point - you will not be able to connect to the db except via web pages. You would not use access at all
How to I determine what size my tables are?
as I suggested - you have an access back end with 14000 records? so compact it and see how big it is in windows explorer. If you haven't populated it yet, then to calculate an approximate size, add together the datatype sizes (e.g. Boolean 1 byte, number 2-16 bytes depending on type) for a record. double up for those fields which are indexed and multiply by 14000. There may be a better way but it will give you an idea.

pkraja

Local time
Today, 01:25
I am using Access as front end to a mySQL hosted by a third party company. My internal users can view, edit, add and delete records. My external users use a web interface to view, edit, delete, and add records. To say that Access cannot connect to mySQL hosted on the web is simply not true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom