Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > The Watercooler

Old 08-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #16
Vassago
Administrator

Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about
Re: Me as a developer and how my apps are used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlray View Post
As my job doing QA for Sierra On-Line games, we were supposed to try things that would think that no one should. Unfortunately we missed an easter egg that a programmer had planted that we should have caught. Too many times we followed the script to just be able to get through the game.
Dare I ask which one?

Old 08-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #17
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough Mark_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlray View Post
As my job doing QA for Sierra On-Line games, we were supposed to try things that would think that no one should. Unfortunately we missed an easter egg that a programmer had planted that we should have caught. Too many times we followed the script to just be able to get through the game.
I used to know a tester for Blizzard. One issue he'd run into involved boundary spots that were not obvious. In some cases you could get stuck if you wandered into just the wrong place in just the right way, but the odds of one person finding it were rather small.

Of course with hundreds of thousands of players running around like maniacs SOMEONE is bound to hit the error, but a dozen testers spending hundreds of hours each looking for these issues seldom hit them all.
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:14 PM   #18
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,485 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

There is a thing called an "action point" as a concept in programming, a place where you have a decision or choice or alternative or SOMETHING where human input is involved in some way. Not even counting the sprites / non-player characters of any modern game, you have an action point at every texture swap on the road because of "handing off" the player from one location to another. If you stop to consider all the edge intersections for all graphic textures in an open-world game (I'm thinking Elder Scrolls III, IV, and V or Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4, or any member of the Witcher series), the real surprise is that people don't "fall through the cracks" (literally) every time they take a step in-game. What's that old chant that elementary school kids used to sing? "Step on a crack, step on a crack, break your mother's back."

THAT is my idea of a play-tester's nightmare - finding all the edges in an open world.

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Doc_Man For This Useful Post:
Tera (08-15-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 03:24 PM   #19
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough Mark_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
THAT is my idea of a play-tester's nightmare - finding all the edges in an open world.
Funny, as a player in Fallout 4 I've exploited some of these "Cracks" when the spawn system randomly puts something where IT shouldn't be in the first place. Recently updated a wiki on how to get to a place you shouldn't be able to get to when the target for a radiant quests is spawned outside where you normally can go.
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:10 AM   #20
kevlray
Newly Registered User

kevlray will become famous soon enough

Kings Quest V (if I recall correctly). The user did something odd with the sled and they got an interesting animation (message for the the programmers girlfriend). Then there is a timing issue with KQ VII. The programmers used the wrong timer and the only way to get through a particular scene (when the computers got faster) is to use a program to slow down the CPU. But alas KQ VII (at least for me) will not run on Windows 7, but will run on Windows XP.

kevlray is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: