AO Index is not an Index in this Table (1 Viewer)

Lochwood

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:57
Whenever i Compile and repair my front end i get error half way through.. "AO Index is not an Index in this Table" i click ok and find most of my table links, forms and some queries have gone. the database is then unusable. luckily i have a backup before the compile and repair so can restore it.. i have tried unlinking all tables but the issue still exists.. i am running a 2003 database with switchboard and userl level security on a 2016 access platform.

Any thoughts?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 15:57
are both 32 bits or both 64 bit office.
they don't go well together.

also a2007 up to 2019 uses new accdb structure (a2007 structure).

Lochwood

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:57
Both 32Bit

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 15:57
there area additional system tables since 2010.
so using 2003 and 2016 is not compatible.
when opened on a2016, it will add additional Msys tables.
if opened in a2003, it will complain of something, worst it might never recognize it as a database.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:57
This is not causing your problem but it will cause other problems and it would make this one easier to fix --- The app should be split into FE/BE. The BE contains ONLY tables. The FE contains all other objects with links to the tables in the BE.

The problem is caused by corruption. You are going to have to rebuild the app object by object until you encounter the object that is corrupted so you can skip that one. As the last step, you will need to recreate the corrupted object or get it from one of your backups.

Start with going through the split process. Create a new database and suffix the name with _FE to identify it as the FE. Open this database and import ALL objects except the tables. Do it by type. Import the queries, then the macros. If any group fails, you will need to do the import one at a time until you identify the corrupted object and skip it.

Create another new database and suffix the name with _BE. Open this database and import the tables one at a time until you find the one that fails.

After all the data is imported correctly, make sure that the indexes are all created. Create the relationships and enforce Referential Integrity. The final step is to open the FE and link the tables to the BE.

One thing you will need to be careful with is every time you move the BE, you will need to open up the linked tables manager in the FE and relink the tables. Once an app is created and released for production, the BE doesn't move so this isn't a problem. As the developer, you would need your own test copy of the FE and also a test copy of the BE and so you would need to relink the BE as you move from test to production and back. As long as all the tables are in a single BE, this is not usually a problem and the users will never have to do it. Just you.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:57
The OP wrote
Whenever i Compile and repair my front end i get error half way through.. "AO Index is not an Index in this Table"

If your system is split FE/BE, then if there is a table(s) in the front end, it should be a look up table. I'd import all non table objects into a new db and re-create the lookup table.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 07:57
I haven't seen the AO Index error for many years.
Its due to corruption in an Access system table MSysAccessObjects.
Luckily there is a fix by Dirk Goldgar that should solve your problem without having to do so step by step as previously suggested.
See http://datagnostics.com/dtips/fixaoindex.html

Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom