Please assist with my DMAX Function (1 Viewer)

Al.E.Bags

Local time
Yesterday, 21:03
I’m working on a fairly straightforward database tool that will store song data.

The kinds of data I am storing fall into some basic groupings so I have a number of related tables.

Each Song Title breaks down in to Sections by Name (as in Intro, Verse and Chorus etc.).
Each SectionName has a Rehearsal Mark (as in A, B, C etc.).
Each RehearsalMark can have a number of distinct Patterns (as in a, b, c etc.).
Each Pattern has a length in Bars (as in 4, 8, 12, etc.).
And so on and so forth.

Example: Name=Introduction. Section=A. Pattern=a. BarsLength=8. Bar= 1,2,3,4 etc.

At this point, I want to save the number of keystrokes by adding each Bar Number (of each PatternLength) both incrementally and programmatically and thus far have been using a dmax function on a button click event to do the job.

Here is the crux of my problem (and the source of my brain constipation).

I want the db to hold multiple songs (by songID) and whilst songID 1 doesn’t present any issues, I want to be able to reset the BarNumber to 1 for every new songID.

All the work I have done so far specifying Criteria within the DMAX syntax fails with Run-Time error '2001': You cancelled the previous operation.

Clearly, all I am seeking is some code that will respond to the value of my forms lngSongID field and that will increment by a value of 1 whatever the lngSongID value happens to be? !! :eek:

Here is my basic function code after having removed the stuff that simply wasn't working :

Public Function nxtBarUp() As Integer
On Error GoTo nextBar_Err
Dim nextBar As Integer

'Find highest bar number in tblBarNumber and add 1 WHERE lngSongID is equal to the form field
'of the same name
nextBar = Nz(DMax("lngBar", "tblBarNumber")) + 1
'Assign function the value of the Next Bar
nxtBarUp = nextBar

Exit_nxtBarUp:
Exit Function

nextBar_Err:
MsgBox "Error " & Err & ": " & Error$

Resume Exit_nxtBarUp

End Function

The form button them simply calls the function after moving to a new record.

Can somebody help me with this, much appreciated!

Last edited:

the_net_2.0

Banned
Local time
Yesterday, 23:03
domain functions are specific to ms access. visual basic doesn't support them. if you want to use it, you might have to call code that's actually INSIDE the db that you're referring to in your vb code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom