what's the best backend for a split DB? (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 08:57
I know I've posted a few too many threads in the watercooler already, but I have a bunch of curiosities about different ideas and you guys here offer some good insights. So that being said, what kinds of experiences are out there with server back ends? I've only used MYSQL and it was alright to a degree but I did experience a frozen application on occasion even using fast processors and large amounts of RAM.

I've asked some mobile development experts what their take on using a server backend database for storing data is, and apparently almost anything will work:

https://www.dreamincode.net/forums/...e-backend-to-use-for-an-android-business-app/

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 13:57
know I've posted a few too many threads in the watercooler already ...

Probably true ...or as you would say. Prolly true :rolleyes:

Anyway I've moved it to Tables where it really belongs
Access will read & edit data stored in a wide variety of backend applications.
The simplest is obviously another Access app.
For stability & security SQL Server or similar is far superior

EDIT:
Having checked the link I'm wondering if you are in fact aje_trumpet who used to be a member here at AWF several years ago!
Have you just given away your identity?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I'm confident its not a coincidence.
There have been a number of clues in recent days
And, as you well know, ajetrumpet (Adam) received a permanent ban back in 2010 which he tried to circumvent

FYI I've already referred this to other mods for attention as that was all before my time here

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:57
I want to say that ID was banned on multiple DB forums. I could careless, but I am not a mod.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
ajetrumpet (Adam) received a permanent ban back in 2010 which he tried to circumvent

Circumvent want?

And how can I get my "AWF VIP" changed to "Banned", without getting banned? I'd settle for "Banishment Pending"

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, to answer the direct question:

The best back-end for an Access front-end is the one that will do the job you want with the least trouble and cost, and that has sufficient capacity, longevity, and durability. My viewpoint on this is that there is no unique and eternally correct answer to the question as asked, because it has no context.

For my monster for the Navy, a native Access back-end was fine. But for the BUMED project that I sometimes had to step in for a consult, they were using SQL Server because they had a capacity problem and needed a specific type of security.

You know from other threads that I believe in having multiple tools in my toolkit. The kind of back end you need is the one that works in your circumstance. If circumstances change, the answer will change. Sometimes you need a hammer. Sometimes you need a screwdriver. Sometimes you need a post-hole auger, though the Navy uses that more often for anatomical rearrangement if they think you need reaming out.

Can you name one of a programmer's greatest strengths? That was actually rhetorical: Flexibility under changing conditions. Applications are living things as long as people use them and life goes on. Because requirements change. Regulations change. User mix changes. So why should the answer to that "best back end" question not change?

For my biggest mainframe DB, which was the U.S. Naval Reserve's Personnel Management DB (and I can't talk about inner details much due to NDAs), the first three or four years were crazy because we outgrew two different machines. We beat one machine to death. No, not kidding - a RAID-1, or mirrored, drive literally fell apart because it was a "hot spot" of usage. The mirror failed and demoted itself to a single drive, which failed fifteen minutes later. Took us three weeks to recover from that hardware failure.

We eventually went with ORACLE on OpenVMS because that allowed us to distribute the DB over multiple disks and to monitor individual disk I/O loads for hot spots - and to migrate data to spread the load. Since ORACLE allows ODBC connections, we COULD have used Access as a front-end for that, too - but there was a third-party OpenVMS product we used because the project pre-dated the wide-spread use of Access and not everyone had a "smart" terminal anyway. So we used a dumb-terminal program for the early stuff and just never converted to the newer technology. Which was why after over 30 years, they finally stood down the old system and stood up a fully web-enabled system. But that was OK because I had a good run with it and the Navy was able to salvage the back end design for the new front-end. So in the end, the taxpayers got some benefits from a well-handled project. (Don't you DARE think that EVERY military project is a total boon-doggle!)

But back to topic - any answer you try to nail down is wrong the moment you drive in the nail.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:57
Circumvent want?

And how can I get my "AWF VIP" changed to "Banned", without getting banned? I'd settle for "Banishment Pending"

User CP/Edit your details/Custom user title

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 09:57
Had to look that one up. Someone has watched “From Hell” once or twice...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Glad to assist your google search skills.
Now I'm the one in a fog? From hell?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 09:57
A movie about Jack the Ripper and the detective (Johnny Depp) who assited with the case. Sherlock Holmes type skillset but HEAVY opium addiction. They referred to it as “chasing the dragon”

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Sherlock himself dawdled with opiods. See "The Seven Percent Solution."

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
speaking of opiods, is there really an opiod crisis in this country like the government claims there is? recreational drug use has always been widespread.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time

Hence my laudanum comment in post #11

speaking of opiods, is there really an opiod crisis in this country like the government claims there is? recreational drug use has always been widespread.

Suggest you transfer this post to the watercooler or current events forum before this gets any further off-topic

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom