Copying from Excel to Access (1 Viewer)

KEKeogh

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:30
I know apparently what the problem is but can't seem to figure out how to fix it. Let's see if I can explain what's going on coherently.

I have a field in a table that we copy the text from an email into so they can be associated with a client. These could be many paragraphs.

All is fine when I copy right from the email in Outlook into the field in Access. The email is copied exactly as it looks.

To make my life "easier" I do multiple at a time by copying the info into Excel and the copying multiple records into the Access table at once. Saves me having to keep searching for what client the record should be attached to.

But when I do this second method the email in the Access field looks like one big long sentence. Kind of makes it difficult to read at a glance.

I copied the data out of the Access field and into word to check if the returns were still there. They were.

I'm guessing that it has something to do with when I copy it into Excel the individual lines are no longer returns but line breaks. And then Access gets confused.

Anybody come across this and know how to fix it?

If not, I'll just instead of putting them in Excel I'll put them directly in Access from now on.

Thanks
Kathie

Ranman256

Local time
usu what works, copy data
paste into notepad
copy in notepad
paste in access/excel.

the notepad tends to correct it.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:30
To make my life "easier" I do multiple at a time by copying the info into Excel and the copying multiple records into the Access table at once. Saves me having to keep searching for what client the record should be attached to.
How does it look when it's pasted into Excel? And how do you paste it into Excel?

KEKeogh

Registered User.
Local time
I select the email text in Outlook and select "COPY" .

Then click into the Excel cell I'm putting the text into and click "PASTE"

It looks normal in Excel with all the appropriate returns there.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
If you have 3 paragraphs, try selecting 3 cells in Excel and paste. Then copy from those cells and paste into Access.

The Notepad option Ranman mentioned will sort it out but I'm just curious about this.

KEKeogh

Registered User.
Local time
It works but kinda defeats the purpose of making it easier.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
If by "Email" you are referring to Microsoft Outlook, then perhaps you can remove the middleman entirely. Microsoft Access has the ability to open Outlook style emails and read the contents. I believe information such as the Sender, Subject Line, and Text Body are available. Try doing a Forum History search to see of the issue has come up before. While I am not an expert in this area, I am sure that the Forum has experts that can provide additional details if you cannot find them on your own.

If you are not referring to Microsoft Outlook, then I am not sure how (if at all) the above applies.

-- Rookie

KEKeogh

Registered User.
Local time
I am referring to Microsoft Outlook.

I may just have to research that idea while the boss is out next week.

Thanks for your help.

KEKeogh

Registered User.
Local time
vbaInet: "If you have 3 paragraphs, try selecting 3 cells in Excel and paste. Then copy from those cells and paste into Access." This worked.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 17:30
Concering #7

Yes you CAN link directly to an Outlook folder from Access. This is a lengthy process, unless you link to an Outlook folder with few mails only. ALso not sure if it still gives access to html version or just pure text - you could check it.

But, why not directly insert whatever it is you copy from Outlook into the table field in Access with an Outlook macro? Yes it takes a little code ...

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Try selecting the entire sheet (Ctrl+A) or the entire column and paste. Then copy and paste as usual.

I wonder what it is exactly that you're doing in Excel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom