"available wifi networks" icon not showing in taskbar (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 18:13
hey guys,

might need a little more help here. for days now, ever since the scammer got remote access to my windows 7 machine, my windows 10 machine's "wifi networks available" icon that is spose to be present in the taskbar's "system tray area" does not appear. the scammers did not gain access to the win 10 machine, however they did capture my phone number, which was the number of my phone at that time I was using the mobile hotspot with to connect my win 10 machine to the internet.

i have attached a screenshot proving that it is not there, and another screenshot to prove that the "display icon" setting for available wifi networks is indeed toggled to "on". anyone know what could the issue could be?

Attachments

• no wifi network icon.jpg
    no wifi network icon.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 706
  • wifi display icon turned on.png
    wifi display icon turned on.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 713

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Maybe you have a restore point prior to the attack.
I will check. there is nothing wrong with a factory reset though if all else fails. i've looked this problem up and all of the solutions found were for a scenario where the icon WAS actually appearing but no networks were being recognized when clicking on the icon

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
ok guys, issue has been solved. i got *some* advice from MS people, but not much. I posted the solution here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...tem-tray/3c885656-24f1-4352-b7c1-a4b5ef796e53

The solution was found via a google search here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ck-on-42/70c0de73-f406-4799-9509-fe5bdfcf0fd6

When I talked to geek squad about the issue the agent said that the network card had probably gone bad and claimed to have witnessed many network cards going bad after just 10 days of buying a computer. I don't believe that one bit, as every person I've talked to that's told me they've gone to geek squad to help them fix a problem, have said that they told them the thing that was having the issue "was bad" and it had to be replaced. That's a great way to suck people in to spend money! I'm sure they're very profitable if that's all they say.

A friend that I work with named Alex took her machine into geek squad and they told her that the motherboard had gone bad. But another person we work with, Ryan, check her machine out and the issue was indeed marginal and the motherboard was fine. So I spose if any visitors to this site consider going to those geeks, be wary of what they tell you.

Last edited:

jocph

Local time
Tomorrow, 07:13
I would have suggested to uninstall the Wireless LAN driver from device manager then reinstall it.

harpygaggle

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:13
Lucky I found this thread... the same thing just happened to my laptop, too! Thanks, guys :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom