System tray alerts (Balloon Tooltips) no longer working? (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:01
I've just been informed that the balloon tooltips / system tray alert feature in sample databases is no longer working. See: https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=1581434#post1581434

I can confirm its no longer working for me either - tested using both Access 2010 & 2016 in Windows 10 v1709 (but one which had v1803 installed and then removed)

I've also tried my Attention Seeking sample database which includes the same feature: https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=295342

AND I've just tested two other balloon tooltip utilities with different code written by Phillip Stiefel & arnelgp

In each case, all I see is a brief flash as an icon is added to the notifications area but no alert message

I'm posting here to try & get feedback from others before looking into the cause. But it appears that either a Windows update or Access update seems to have broken the feature in the last month.

Could I ask for feedback on the following:
1. Does the feature still work in either of the above examples for you?
2. Which version of Windows and Access are you using?
3. Also whether 32-bit or 64-bit

Last edited:

psyc0tic1

Access Moron
Local time
Today, 09:01
I forgot to mention in the other thread.

Aside from when choosing a date from the picker it does not generate the tray message... only when starting up the program.
When manually changing the date in the field then clicking on the form outside the field it will generate the tray message with the chosen date.

What I forgot to mention was:
When the system tray message regarding the "Support Expiry Date" pops up there is no tray icon underneath during application start or otherwise.

Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1
Access 2013 (15.0.5013.1000) MSO (15.0.5031.1000) 64-bit
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013

Not being critical at all... just thought it was worth mention.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks for confirming this information and your Windows/Access specifications
I'm no longer even getting the message at start up.

I appreciate the feedback though its very frustrating that it seems to no longer be working
I had a similar issue with my geolocation app which was broken by the Win 10 1803 update

I know for a fact this was working a month ago when I uploaded an update for 64-bit Access. But as already stated, its not just my own code that's stopped working

The fact that its not working for you in Win 7 suggests its an Office update rather than Windows update issue

psyc0tic1

Access Moron
Local time
Today, 09:01
I would have to agree. I just noticed in my PowerPoint application there is a big difference in how videos are played back compared to several months ago the last time I made a presentation containing them.

Our computers are always under an onslaught of updates pushed on us by out IT department.... we have no choice but to let them run.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
In my experience, most IT department postpone updates for as long as possible precisely to avoid the problems these so often cause

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Colin,
Looking at a button in 2007, I cannot see any backcolor property, only forecolor, so that will be why.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Colin,
Looking at a button in 2007, I cannot see any backcolor property, only forecolor, so that will be why.

Actually no it isn't

You are of course correct about buttons having no back colour property in 2007 (despite themes allowing you to modify the back color on hover, click etc)

In the date picker form, although the code comments refer to 'buttons', they are actually labels with captions and those do have the back colour property in 2007

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Thoroughly puzzled now.:confused:
If I select a control d1 to d51 it shows them as command button in the property sheet and then this is in the code
Code:
btn As CommandButton

I am posting here Colin, so others can learn as well, but if you want to keep the thread clear, we can go by PM, but I am keen to learn what I am missing here.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Colin,
I don't think I have used this program before, so not sure how it is meant to work.
However I see an alert in the Notifications side bar when I check for updates, and it informs me a new version is available.? Easy to miss though, as I only spotted it when something else came up and I had a bunch of alerts, windows update etc.

I'm on Win10 32 bit 1709, Access 2007 (as you know :D)

I will check the work laptop on Monday, which is on a later Win10 version.

HTH

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thoroughly puzzled now.:confused:
If I select a control d1 to d51 it shows them as command button in the property sheet and then this is in the code
Code:
btn As CommandButton

I am posting here Colin, so others can learn as well, but if you want to keep the thread clear, we can go by PM, but I am keen to learn what I am missing here.

Sorry I have no idea what I was thinking :confused::eek:
I went from A2010 to A2007 & back & confused myself with my own utility!
You were right to question that - they are of course BUTTONS!

You can just disable the button back colour code for the selected date which is causing it to fail in A2007,
The selected date is also indicated by changing the BUTTON text to bold red so its easily identifiable anyway.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Colin,
I don't think I have used this program before, so not sure how it is meant to work.
However I see an alert in the Notifications side bar when I check for updates, and it informs me a new version is available.? Easy to miss though, as I only spotted it when something else came up and I had a bunch of alerts, windows update etc.

I'm on Win10 32 bit 1709, Access 2007 (as you know :D)

I will check the work laptop on Monday, which is on a later Win10 version.

HTH

The idea is you will see a message similar to this is the system tray (or notifications) area at the bottom right of the screen

That's for Windows 10 - it looks different in Win 7 / Win 8

NOTE: some people report it just goes straight to the notifications banner area

For the alert to work, you need to ensure you switch on notifications from Access in Windows settings

I've just realised why it wasn't working for me yesterday - in a recent Windows update, the Quiet Hours feature was added

When this is enabled (normally in evening & overnight), no notifications appear. Switch it off & they return! Doh!

I'll post this comment to the sample databases area as well

Attachments

• TrayAlert.PNG
    TrayAlert.PNG
    43 KB · Views: 2,102
  • Notifications.PNG
    Notifications.PNG
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,895
  • QuietHours.png
    QuietHours.png
    87 KB · Views: 2,013

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well yesterday when I posted it was just going to the notification area, and as mentioned I did not initially spot it.

Today I am getting the alert coming out onto the desktop.?

So it is working for me now.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Sunday morning isn't included in 'Quiet Hours' so you see the desktop alert

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom