Voting Republican (1 Viewer)

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:27
Len Boorman said:
If your left wingers are not as left as our left wingers and your right wingers are not as right as our right wingers does that sort of make them all a bunch of English Liberals who basically cannot make their mind up of what they want to be.
L

You might have something, there, Len. Of course the driving force behind most of our politicians (especially at the national level) is a desire for power and money -- one begets the other, interchangeably...

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:27
There is also an age thing. Young people are more likely to be Democratic (liberal) and as they mature and acquire material goods, become more consertive (Republican).

Party differences:
Democrats want a large army but they don't want to send it anywhere. Republicans want a small army but they want to send it everywhere.
Democrats want huge social programs for the poor and they're willing to raise taxes to provide them.
Republicans want to provide tax breaks and loopholes for the rich. The poor don't exist in their world. So they drag us into debt to pay for their pork barrel programs.

I started out life as a Democrat but reading Atlas Shrugged by Ann Rynd turned me into a Libertarian. Unfortunately, the Libertarian party doesn't have a large enough following in the US so I tended to vote Republican. However, the Republicans are getting way too religous for my taste so I'm not sure what I'm going to do come November.

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
Pat Hartman said:
However, the Republicans are getting way too religous for my taste so I'm not sure what I'm going to do come November.

I hear that Pat. Perhaps I am generalizing a bit and should give people more credit than they deserve, but religous people seem to be more easily steered toward a particular belief or agenda. All you have to do is convince them that it is in God's best interest and they will jump on the bandwagon. Whether it is out of love and/or fear of God they will do it with disregard for what they would otherwise not consider doing. This is precisely what Karl Rove and his merry band of republicans succeeded in doing over the past couple elections. They convinced good ol' religous middle America that they must vote anti-abortion, anti-gay and all those other morally righteous topics regardless of what other issues lie out there.

Now take that for what you will, but even though I may be stretching it a bit I do think there is a fair amount of truth to that. Personally, even if I were anti-gay and anti-abortion I simply cannot understand how people would place more importance on these issues over things like the war/national security, the economy and health care program. I know this is just my opinion, but I seriously think many people have totally got there priorities all off whack.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
NJudson said:
I hear that Pat. Perhaps I am generalizing a bit and should give people more credit than they deserve, but religous people seem to be more easily steered toward a particular belief or agenda. All you have to do is convince them that it is in God's best interest and they will jump on the bandwagon. Whether it is out of love and/or fear of God they will do it with disregard for what they would otherwise not consider doing. This is precisely what Karl Rove and his merry band of republicans succeeded in doing over the past couple elections. They convinced good ol' religous middle America that they must vote anti-abortion, anti-gay and all those other morally righteous topics regardless of what other issues lie out there.

Now take that for what you will, but even though I may be stretching it a bit I do think there is a fair amount of truth to that. Personally, even if I were anti-gay and anti-abortion I simply cannot understand how people would place more importance on these issues over things like the war/national security, the economy and health care program. I know this is just my opinion, but I seriously think many people have totally got there priorities all off whack.

I have been saying that for years now. Fortunately that thinking, got us Georgie boy, soon he will have the Republicans on the tar and feather list.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If the Democrats had run anyone but John Kerry in 2004, they would have taken the White House. But given Kerry's membership in the same secret society as GWB and his reluctance to take a stand on the immigration issue killed his chances.

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
Pat Hartman said:
If the Democrats had run anyone but John Kerry in 2004, they would have taken the White House. But given Kerry's membership in the same secret society as GWB and his reluctance to take a stand on the immigration issue killed his chances.

So your saying Al Sharpton could've been the Democratic saviour everyone has been looking for? ;)

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
NJudson said:
So your saying Al Sharpton could've been the Democratic saviour everyone has been looking for? ;)

The funny thing is, he (Kerry) was a nobody; and he almost won.

Watch out Carl your empire is collapsing.

Of course the biggest Democrat failure was Gore, He misunderstood the support Clinton had and tried to distance himself from him.

Bad move. Turns out Bill was the most popular president we have had in years.

Last edited:

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
If you have a vote to cast in an American election please vote for a party that encourages your hopes rather than a party that deepens your fears. Certainly I don't envy you that as an American your vote has far greater power than mine to determine who lives and who dies in the world, and how the future unfolds.

My nation doesn't have enough bombs to frighten anybody, but then it also doesn't have enough bombs to be frightened. Seems they go a little hand-in-hand.

I hope you choose a government that encourages you to be hopeful.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:27
jsanders said:
The funny thing is, he (Kerry) was a nobody; and he almost won.
The democrates were playing the class card too much, RICH are bad, Poor are good, ignore middle class. As I see it, playing the class card is the same as playing the race card. If you can only appeal to your voters by reating class envy, that is a problem. I have the same exact issue with the religous right on gay rights, etc. BUT the republican party did not CREATE that issue, the religous right did, so there is a minor differance.

Of course the biggest Democrat failure was Gore, He misunderstood the support Clinton had and tried to distance himself from him.
Bad move. Turns out Bill was the most popular president we have had in years.
I can't say Clinton had support as much as he was just Crismatic. I mean how many lies did he tell his voters that he never, ever, followed through on? I got the impression he was more concerned with popularity than what needed to be done. I can't say he was a bad pres. He really didn't do anything, and that was the best thing about him.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
FoFa said:
The democrates were playing the class card too much, RICH are bad, Poor are good, ignore middle class. As I see it, playing the class card is the same as playing the race card. If you can only appeal to your voters by reating class envy, that is a problem. I have the same exact issue with the religous right on gay rights, etc. BUT the republican party did not CREATE that issue, the religous right did, so there is a minor differance.

I can't say Clinton had support as much as he was just Crismatic. I mean how many lies did he tell his voters that he never, ever, followed through on? I got the impression he was more concerned with popularity than what needed to be done. I can't say he was a bad pres. He really didn't do anything, and that was the best thing about him.

You’re right of course the Republicans did not invent morality, but they did capitalize on it much more effectively than the Democrats.

One of the reasons Clinton didn’t “accomplish” anything was that he was hamstrung from the very beginning by a witch hunt.

He did however have a better understanding of economics than either of the Bush’s.

He also saw the problem with run-away government spending. Something our "fiscally conservative" Republican leadership doesn’t seem to grasp.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
jsanders said:
One of the reasons Clinton didn’t “accomplish” anything was that he was hamstrung from the very beginning by a witch hunt.
Nothing could be further from the truth. His first two years in office he had democratic control of both the house and the senate, yet he could not get anything through either. The next (Ok can't remember if it was 2 or 4 years) he had control of the senate, but the republicans had a 1 or 2 majority in the house. Now he got a few things through with the republicans than he did with the democrates. It wasn't until he was a lame duck that the witch hunt (as you put it) really started. I mean, he was a lying sack of doo doo, and needed to be called to the table, but I think they just went way over board. Could have something to do with the press not wanting to give Clinton bad press as they always seemed to fall all over themselves around him.

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
jsanders said:
He also saw the problem with run-away government spending. Something our "fiscally conservative" Republican leadership doesn’t seem to grasp.

Well, have no fear my friend. There's nothing a good ol' republican tax break won't fix. :rolleyes:

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
FoFa said:
It wasn't until he was a lame duck that the witch hunt (as you put it) really started.

And it was likely Clinton's infidelity gone public that turned more and more Americans onto the idea that Bush's morally righteous ways are the way we should go. So I guess Democrats should partially blame Clinton for Bush's terms in office.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
FoFa said:
Nothing could be further from the truth. His first two years in office he had democratic control of both the house and the senate, yet he could not get anything through either. The next (Ok can't remember if it was 2 or 4 years) he had control of the senate, but the republicans had a 1 or 2 majority in the house. Now he got a few things through with the republicans than he did with the democrates. It wasn't until he was a lame duck that the witch hunt (as you put it) really started. I mean, he was a lying sack of doo doo, and needed to be called to the table, but I think they just went way over board. Could have something to do with the press not wanting to give Clinton bad press as they always seemed to fall all over themselves around him.
Do you remember White Water?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 16:27
NJudson said:
And it was likely Clinton's infidelity gone public that turned more and more Americans onto the idea that Bush's morally righteous ways are the way we should go.
So the Americans vote in a meglamanic religious crank and suddenly 2,500 US soldiers are killed and 25,000+ innocent civilians dead.:rolleyes:to what end?

Still, its better than having a President who has a bit of fun with an intern - now that is really bad

Col

Last edited:

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
So the Americans vote in a meglamanic religious crank and suddenly 2,500 US soldiers are killed and 25,000+ innocent civilians dead.:rolleyes:to what end?

Still, its better than having a President who has a bit of fun with an intern - now that is really bad

Col

Of course, your making this comment based on a few Americans opinion compared to 300 million Americans. Everyone's perception is their reality but that doesn't necessarily make it reality. The religious right probably does base their voting decisions on moral issues, say more so than other Americans, would but that wouldn't have to mean that they turn their brains off to all other issues. Politicians are politicans. They say one thing when their trying to get elected and then do another when they are elected. They all do it. No matter who gets in office, there is always going to be groups who like whats happening and give their reasons. Those who don't like what's happening and have reasons and others who don't think anything one way or another. It's better than having a dictator and not being able to even express your opinion.:)

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
A local barber shop installed a new robotic barber to take some
off the pressure off the owner.

A fellow came in for a haircut and after being told about the
"new barber" decided he would give it a try. As the robot began to cut
his hair, it asked the man, "What's your IQ?"

The man replied, "140." So the robot proceeded to make
conversation about physics, astronomy, investments, insurance, and so
on. The man listened intently and said "This is really cool."

Later another man who was waiting for a haircut stepped up to
the robot's chair, sat down and the robot asked him before beginning his
haircut, "What's your IQ?" The man replied "100." So the robot started
talking about football, baseball, and so on. This man too thought to
himself "Wow! This is really cool."

Next, a third man stepped up to the robot's chair, seated
himself and the robot, as with the others, asked him "What's your IQ?"
The man replied "30." The robot then said, "So, I understand you
Democrats are really excited about Hillary running for president?"

ROFL

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:27
A local barber shop installed a new robotic barber to take some
off the pressure off the owner.

A fellow came in for a haircut and after being told about the
"new barber" decided he would give it a try. As the robot began to cut
his hair, it asked the man, "What's your IQ?"

The man replied, "140." So the robot proceeded to make
conversation about physics, astronomy, investments, insurance, and so
on. The man listened intently and said "This is really cool."

Later another man who was waiting for a haircut stepped up to
the robot's chair, sat down and the robot asked him before beginning his
haircut, "What's your IQ?" The man replied "100." So the robot started
talking about football, baseball, and so on. This man too thought to
himself "Wow! This is really cool."

Next, a third man stepped up to the robot's chair, seated
himself and the robot, as with the others, asked him "What's your IQ?"
The man replied "30." The robot then said, "Welcome back. Mr. Bush!"

Jokes where you can insert anything you want into the punch line are stupid.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Kraj said:
Jokes where you can insert anything you want into the punch line are stupid.

Humm, let me think about that.
think
think
Well it would appear to me you can do that with ANY JOKE. It might not be as good as the original (as your example proves :p ). So in theroy by your statement ANY JOKE is stupid.
:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom