Guild Wars (1 Viewer)

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
Today, 14:04
For a while some co-workers were trying to convince we to get World of Warcraft and while it did sound like a lot of fun, I couldn't come to grips with forking over $50 for the game, ~$80 for a video card upgrade and then shelling out $15/month just to play the damn thing. About 6 weeks ago some friends told me about Guild Wars. It's been out about 1 year now, but just started playing it recently and despite paying about $120-$130 for the game/video card, it is free to play online. It is an awesome game and is huge. I've been consistenly playing about 2 hours a day on average for the past month and I've still probably only gotten 50-60% through the game (however I typically run through games slower than most people).

If you like DnD fantasy style mmorpg games then you might want to check this game out and with more and more games requiring a monthly subscription to play then this is a great deal. I don't really know anything about World of Warcraft and it may be more fun, detailed, bigger, etc, but Guild Wars certainly has kept me preoccupied for quite some time now.

mcirvine

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:04
I'm in the MMORPG community for some years now. Played wow but didn't like it really. The best one for me is still Dark Age of Camelot which I been playing for years now. Excellent PvP combat, PvE ain't that great but the realm combat thrill is a feeling I have never got in any other MMORPG

Cheers

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
mcirvine said:
I'm in the MMORPG community for some years now. Played wow but didn't like it really. The best one for me is still Dark Age of Camelot which I been playing for years now. Excellent PvP combat, PvE ain't that great but the realm combat thrill is a feeling I have never got in any other MMORPG

Cheers

Never heard of Dark Age of Camelot. Although I've never played WOW, I'm not sure you'd like Guild Wars if you don't like WOW. I read that the creators of Guild Wars are ex-Blizzard employees so there may be a lot of similarities between WOW and GW. I haven't played much pvp yet (I really suck!), but I do enjoy the pve storyline and such. I do look forward to playing more pvp so I can get better and gain "faction points" which can be used to obtain more skills.

The bad thing about PvP in GW is that when you join a game from what I can tell it is random on who you are team with and who you fight. Not sure though. So I can be on a team of noobs fighting a bunch of seasoned veterans. :( Since I'm so new to PvP I really can t say for sure if it has this or not, but so far it seems that it really could use some sort of controls where you are put into a match with other players at or around your level.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 13:04
I've never played on online game before but I've always been curious to try. I just fear that with my now 20-month old daughter and everything else in my life that I wouldn't have much time to devote to it and so it may not pay off for me. I would probably be like you, wandering around and doing things on my own as much as possible. Would you still suggest trying it out in my situation?

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
I've never played on online game before but I've always been curious to try. I just fear that with my now 20-month old daughter and everything else in my life that I wouldn't have much time to devote to it and so it may not pay off for me. I would probably be like you, wandering around and doing things on my own as much as possible. Would you still suggest trying it out in my situation?

If you like RPG Dungeons n Dragons type of games then yes I'd recommend this one. Assuming you meet the system requirements to play the game you only pay for the cost of the game (~$45-$50). This game has no monthly subscription fee so even if you only play once in a while you wont feel committed to playing as you would if you forked over monthly charges. :) I've mostly played the PvE part online (this is the "single-player" part) but you can team up with other people online to complete quests/missions. The PvP part (this is the "multi-player" part) is where you team up with others in player vs player matches. This I have very little experience with and I am quite the noob. :eek: Also, I'm not sure what your internet connection speed is, but I have a friend using dial-up and he has no problems playing the game.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Yes, I do like those games and I've played games like Diablo, Diablo II and Baldur's Gate pretty extensively. I was just unsure about how worthwhile it would be if I couldn't get on to play very much. Is it hard to "hook up" with people for missions/quests etc.?

My PC at home is pretty old and unfortunately, isn't a high priority to replace just yet, but I do have high speed internet. It's an AMD Athlon 1000 with 512 MB RAM though, so should pass minimum requirements. Have you chosen a "guild" yet?

I'd be interested to try this. I've always been curious about playing games online and I'm attracted to this one by virtue of the fact that it is free, after the cost of the game of course.

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
MrsGorilla, I too am playing it on an old AMD Athlon 1k with 512RAM. The specs are:

Minimum System Requirements
800Mhz processor, 256RAM, 2Gb hard drive space, GeForce3 or 4 MX Series Video Card with 32MB of VRAM, 16bit sound.

Recommended System Requirements
1Ghz processor, 512RAM, 2GB hard drive space, ATI Radeon 9000 or GeForce 4 Ti Series Video Card with 64mb of VRAM.

My friends coerced me in getting the game with them and I had to go out and get a video card to play it though.

As far as getting into a guild it is pretty easy I guess. My friends already were in a guild so they invited me so it was as easy as that. Otherwise, there is always someone out there spamming in the public areas that they are recruiting people. Since my friends and I have mostly limited our playing to the PvE portion of the game and we tend to be online at different times we don't really play together that often and haven't really done much with our guild (which is only 5 people anyway).

It's not very difficult to "hook-up" with others for quests/missions, but sometimes its a crap shoot because some players can be jerks, idiots, wander from group, drop out....etc. Most times though I can get into a decent group. Your account can have up to 4 players so you can choose 4 players of any type of dual combonation of warrior, ranger, monk, elementalist, mesmer or necromancer. Even if you don't join other groups for quests/missions you can always take henchman along to do the stuff. Henchman have pros and cons, but they can be nice if the quest isn't very difficult and you just want to do a solo quest without anyone else online.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Yeah, I may have to upgrade my video card. I can't remember for sure but I think it may be a GeForce 2. (sigh)

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
Ok, basically because of what I read on this thread, I went out and bought Guild Wars. I like it so far, but all I am doing is running around trying to gain some experience. I haven't had the courage to actually hook up with anyone yet, this is my first time playing an online game. And no one else I know has the game. Has anyone had any experience with this? I just feel like such a plebe.

Lisa

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:04
A couple of my mates are trying to get me to buy it and one of them is a hardcore FPS'er and doesn't play anything else and he's a convert so maybe I'll give it a go.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I just feel like such a plebe.
Don't worry about it Lisa we have all had to start somewhere ;) I play BF2 online and when I first started I did feel a bit like a headless chicken to begin with but I'm now getting good at it, in fact I even got invited to join a clan for a one off match :p.

NJudson is right though there are loads of idiots around (usually with names like -=>>l33t sk1llz h4x0r<<=- *) who will tell you "u sux0r l4m3r n00b"* and generally act like children - just ignore them. There are plenty of people around who are there for the same reason you are - to have fun, once you've built up your experience and have got the basics sorted it's a very rewarding (albit escapism) feeling and I'm sure you'll get invited into a 'proper' guild.

*Elite skilled hacker and You suck lame newbie - for those not familure with l33t speak

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
Minkey said:
A couple of my mates are trying to get me to buy it and one of them is a hardcore FPS'er and doesn't play anything else and he's a convert so maybe I'll give it a go.

You know, it really isn't bad. My girlfriend tried to get me to buy WOW, but for $15 a month to play, when this is free, I couldn't do it. I like to be able to play whenever I want, without worrying about wasting my money.

Minkey said:
NJudson is right though there are loads of idiots around (usually with names like -=>>l33t sk1llz h4x0r<<=- *) who will tell you "u sux0r l4m3r n00b"* and generally act like children - just ignore them. There are plenty of people around who are there for the same reason you are - to have fun, once you've built up your experience and have got the basics sorted it's a very rewarding (albit escapism) feeling and I'm sure you'll get invited into a 'proper' guild. *Elite skilled hacker and You suck lame newbie - for those not familure with l33t speak

Yeah - I have seen a lot of those. It's kind of neat when I stand around in town and there are a million other players running around. Some of them are dancing, and I have to figure out how to do that. But I do notice the ones with really ill names, and I steer clear of them. Thanks for the advice - I'll give it a try tonight!

Lisa

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
OK, I picked up a copy of this and when I got it home I realized it was Guild Wars Factions; an expansion that can be played as a stand alone. So now I am trying to determine whether I should return it and get the standard game, or whether I should keep it and give it a whirl. I was hoping someone could tell me whether they have any experience with this expansion or just with the standard game. NJudson? lmnop? Anyone?

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
OK, I picked up a copy of this and when I got it home I realized it was Guild Wars Factions; an expansion that can be played as a stand alone. So now I am trying to determine whether I should return it and get the standard game, or whether I should keep it and give it a whirl. I was hoping someone could tell me whether they have any experience with this expansion or just with the standard game. NJudson? lmnop? Anyone?

Factions is the biggest and baddest of Guild Wars, and just came out in April, so on the plus side, you have there an extremely up-to-date game. I am still in the process of installing my new video card (because you absolutely have to have it if you don't have the minimum requirements), so I haven't played GUild Wars in a little while, but I love it so far. I am only having trouble breaking into the online world, but it shouldn't take me long to muster up the courage to talk to others. I do it here!;) I would keep it. At some point, you may actually want to pick up the original as well. MHO.

Lisa

Edit: Or take it back, get the original, and you can find me online, and we can go on adventures!!!

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
lmnop7854 said:
Or take it back, get the original, and you can find me online, and we can go on adventures!!!

So...if I have Factions and you have the original game we couldn't "hook up"? I'm a complete newbie as well and I don't know how it works... :D

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
So...if I have Factions and you have the original game we couldn't "hook up"? I'm a complete newbie as well and I don't know how it works... :D

I'm not positive, but I think that is a correct statement. Guild Wars Prophecies (Chapter 1) takes place on the land of Tyria; whereas, the Guild Wars Factions (Chapter 2) takes place on the land of Cantha. I might be wrong, but I think you would need both games in order to travel to each of the lands. I could be wrong though. I haven't played Factions as I'm still trying to decide if I want to get it yet. I've read good things and bad things about it compared to the original game. A friend of mine does have Factions and he is really liking it though. There are sets of skills that are "core" skills that are shared between Prophecies and Factions and there are "Faction" skills and "Prophecies" skills that are only available to the particular chapter your playing (unless of course you have both chapters and can unlock all skills).

Since I haven't played Faction yet I can't really give a comparison, but I read that there are only around 18 missions in Factions; whereas, Prophecies has about 30 maybe. The world to explore in Factions is smaller I guess and the storyline is shorter. I only speak of the PvE aspect since I don't really play the PvP much at all. Sorry I can't help you out more, but good luck with whatever you decide.

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
with the release of Nightfall the third chapter in the guild wars saga, I am posting here. I have been playing guild wars since January and am totally hooked on the series. heh I used to play for 8 or 9 hour stretches just because, of course that was before we had the baby. and to answer the questions if they havent been before. they are stand alone, and if you do not have the other chapters you cant go to the other lands. if you only have prophecies you cant go to factions and nightfall and vice versa. I have all three chapters on two seperate accounts. if anyone wants to you can add me as a friend either under kehlar goldenmoon or jasmine goldenmoon. those are the two main names on the accounts.

Edit: I went and bought ANOTHER 2 accounts so now I have 4 accounts for Guild Wars, what the hell am I thinking? Ok the new name is Alexa Goldenmoon and the 4th account I need to get added so will update here when I get it. if anyone needs a guild let me know in game or here. I am an officer in one guild and on my other account I have a guild of my own so if you need a guild just drop me a line. on another note anyone playing this let me know how you like the game. I might be biased but think it is an incredible game.

Last edited:

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
KalelGmoon said:
I went and bought ANOTHER 2 accounts so now I have 4 accounts for Guild Wars, what the hell am I thinking? Ok the new name is Alexa Goldenmoon and the 4th account I need to get added so will update here when I get it. if anyone needs a guild let me know in game or here. I am an officer in one guild and on my other account I have a guild of my own so if you need a guild just drop me a line. on another note anyone playing this let me know how you like the game. I might be biased but think it is an incredible game.

I know I quoted myself, but realized after I posted that editing the post did not show that anything had changed in the outside thread sorry for the repeating

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom