Trouble with Security Wizard (1 Viewer)

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
Yesterday, 22:15
Hello all, its been a very long time since I've been here. I'm having to brush off the dust and get back to using Access a bit here and I'm tasked with trying to set permissions on a database which our department uses. The actual database I will eventually set permissions on is an Access 2000 DB.

I've tried setting up security years ago and had all sorts of problems and then abandoned the project. So now I am re-trying and I used a test db to do this so I didn't screw things up. The test db is Access2003. I've read tuturials on how to use the Wizard, but I continue to "lock myself" out of the db.

Here's a step by step process of what I've done.

1) Create a new workgroup information.
2) Name my WID (left it as the random alphanumeric code) and selected the "I want to create a shortcut to open my security-enhanced database."
3) Have all database objects selected for security.
4) Selected "Full Permissions" and "Read-Only Permissions" groups for the workgroup information file.
5) Entered Users.
6) Set User permissions.
7) Saved the copy of the unsecured database.

When its all done then when I try to open the database and I receive the following popup.

"You do not have the necessary permissions to use the <database> object. Have your system administrator or the person who created this object establish the appropriate permissions for you."

What steps or concepts am I missing here? What I don't understand is shouldn't there be a login popup that comes up when opening the database? This is one area of access I understand very little about. Do the mdw files need to be in a specific location? I appreciate anyone's help on this. Thanks.

freakazeud

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 23:15
re:

Hi,
are you opening the application with the produced shortcut?
You might find this step by step process helpful.
It should guide you through the whole process and ensure you do not forget one step. ULS can be very intimidating if you are new to it...that's why many do not use it and probably why it has been depreciated in the new Access 2007 for the ACCDB file format.
HTH
Good luck

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Today, 03:15
I have a couple of documents that may help. They were written around acc97 but believe most applies still.

PM me with an email address and Iwill send them. Too big to post here

L

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
Yesterday, 22:15
Boy, I'm sorry I haven't gotten back till now. Been really busy. Anyway, I tried freakazued's link and I got that working, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for or hoping for.

That basically it gave all access users a user/password login. I'd rather try to get it a user/password login for just a specific database. And then to have users belong to a specific group.

For example
Group1 = Full Access to Table1 and 2, Read-Only Access to Table3
Group2 = Read-Only Access to Table1 and 2, Full Access to Table3
Group3 = Full Access to all Tables
Group4 = Read-Only Access to all Tables

Then set the users according to which group they belong. Is it possible or relatively easy to do what I'm asking about? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom