Move Access 2007 DB to Access 2010 Web Database (1 Viewer)

gemadan96

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:18
In Access 2007 I've used the Asset Management Database template and customized it for a customer.
It has five key tables: Assets, Contacts, Incoming, Outgoing, Transactions. I've made it as simple as I can for the majority of users. Their primary responsibility is when an asset is being delivered to a contact that it is assigned to that contact or when an asset is being returned it is checked in.

The way it works now is when assets are being assigned to a customer a form is opened by selecting a customer. Using a barcode scanner all assets are scanned and entered in the form which is connected to the Outgoing table. When done the employee selects the Process Outgoing button. This runs a macro that updates the status of the asset and its location in the assets table, it appends the transactions table, then deletes the records from the outgoing table.

When an asset is returned the incoming form is opened and the barcodes are scanned in. The process incoming button runs a macro that updates the asset status and location in the assets table, appends the transactions table, and then deletes the records from the incoming table.

The customer would like to have this web based so I'm considering migrating it to Access 2010 and setting it up as a web database on Sharepoint. I know that this is limited to select queries.

The question is how can I accomplish my update, append, and delete queries in a web database? Can it be done through macros? If so how?

The incoming and outgoing append queries appends the barcode, owner, and date fields of the transactions table.
The incoming and outgoing update queries update the assets table, based on the barcode, for the location, date, and owner fields.

Beetle

Duly Registered Boozer
Local time
Today, 10:18
The customer would like to have this web based so I'm considering migrating it to Access 2010 and setting it up as a web database on Sharepoint. I know that this is limited to select queries.

That's not entirely true. An A2010 or A2013 web app can be a hybrid, meaning that it can contain both web objects (queries, forms, reports) and client objects. Client objects will only run inside the Access client, but still have the same functionality and design options that you're used to with older versions. Web objects will run in a browser over the www, but are much more restrictive as far as what you can do with them. You have to remember that anything you do with a web object has to be able to be interpreted by a browser (IE, Chrome, Firefox, whatever). The browser has no knowledge of, or way to interpret references to, any of your client objects. So it's not that you can't have action queries in a web app, it's that there is no way to run them from a web form.

The question is how can I accomplish my update, append, and delete queries in a web database? Can it be done through macros? If so how?

Well, if your intent is to be able to duplicate this functionality in a web form running in a browser, then you would have to rewrite everything with data macros using For Each Record In / Create Record In or For Each Record In / Edit Record In loops.

Before you take on this project, you really should sit down with your client and determine what exactly it is they want. If they would be satisfied with using most of the existing functionality from within the Access client and they just want a few forms or certain data available over the web, then it might not be a huge undertaking. On the other hand, if they want the whole thing available on the web then you could be looking at spending hundreds of hours completely redesigning the entire application almost from the ground up. There is no way to convert existing client objects to web objects. You would have to completely recreate all your forms, code, reports, everything except maybe the tables. In that case, you would need to determine whether Access is even the right tool for the job. You might be better off using a real web based platform (.Net or whatever)

BTW - If you're going to cross post in different forums, then it is considered common courtesy to inform us of that fact so efforts are not duplicated by the volunteers who respond in these forums. I have posted this answer in both forums.

mimimimi

Local time
Today, 09:18
i want to recognize barcode in vb.net do you thnk is it possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom