Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Forms

Old 11-06-2015, 06:56 AM   #1
nstratton
Newly Registered User

nstratton is on a distinguished road
Button Display/Focus for a continuous form

I am curious how focus is set during a continuous form. I have a continuous form that displays the information from a user selection. The user has the option to not select any information, thus the creation of the continuous form.

I have a few hidden fields on my form and based on the value in those fields I want to display the corresponding buttons. The buttons appear when I click into a record, but then the buttons appear for every record. I currently have VBA to make the buttons visible in the form's OnCurrent event. Is there a way to limit the button appearance to the current record only and have them appear without having to click into the record?

If I understand the nature of continuous forms, there really is no way around having something appear for one record without it appearing everywhere. Of course I would like to confirm before I start making changes.

nstratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:11 AM   #2
sneuberg
AWF VIP

sneuberg will become famous soon enough sneuberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Button Display/Focus for a continuous form

If I may piggy back on this thread, I'd like to know that too. We have a subform with continuous forms and we have a delete button on these forms which shows up on the new record. We put in code so that it doesn't do anything, but we like it not to appear.
sneuberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,532 Times in 1,504 Posts
Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about

One method is to have the buttons in the header or footer and store the current records ID in the header / footer and base your actions on that , you can then hide / disable the single header buttons easily.

The other route on the detail line is to make a text box look like a button and use conditional formatting to make it "vanish" / "disabled"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minty For This Useful Post:
sneuberg (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 08:36 AM   #4
sneuberg
AWF VIP

sneuberg will become famous soon enough sneuberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
The other route on the detail line is to make a text box look like a button and use conditional formatting to make it "vanish" / "disabled"
Thanks, but I remember trying that and it worked so far as the making it appear and disappear, but there was something negative about using a text box as a button. I can't remember now what it was.
sneuberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #5
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,532 Times in 1,504 Posts
Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about

Maybe use a label instead? I normally use the first method.
You can also use sub forms to get your buttons to the left or right of the data without them being on the form itself.

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minty For This Useful Post:
sneuberg (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 09:59 AM   #6
nstratton
Newly Registered User

So I'm storing the buttons in the footer with a textbox storing the current record ID. Is there a way to change the record using the MouseWheel event or something similar? I'm thinking the end user is not going to think to click in the record area to make the record change. That's the only way I can get to change as of now at least.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
smig
Newly Registered User

smig is on a distinguished road
In a continous form all buttons have the same name so there is no way to work on a single button.
Best way, as Minty said is using a textBox or label with conditional formating.

smig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #8
gemma-the-husky
Super Moderator

gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all

I have a few continuous forms where various fields get enabled/disabled according to the row. When you click the row, all rows change. User get used to the behaviour really quickly with no problems. If they click on row 4, all they want is row4. They aren't really bothered what row 3 and 5 show.

if a poster helps you, please click the scales at the top right of this posting, or use the thanks button alongside.
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #9
nstratton
Newly Registered User

The buttons I am wanting to show will eventually open a document based on what is in the record. So the idea I was having was if the user does not select any criteria then the full list displays (obviously) and as they are scrolling through be able to see which documents can be opened (i.e. buttons show).

Of course now that I spell it out, it sounds like I could use a text box and use the double-click event to make it happen since that ensures it is record specific and will show like I want. Buttons just look better than text boxes which seems to be my main hangup.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #10
smig
Newly Registered User

smig is on a distinguished road
There is no way to put a subform on a continous form.
What I do is creating creat as topform we ith two subforms. One is the continous one and the other one is the 'subform'. I send the selected record to the topform and the 'subform' is updated based on this. You can show all record's details and put your button here.

smig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access 2010 , button , continuous form , focus

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: