Text entered on a website into a database? (1 Viewer)

MagpieRhymes

Local time
Today, 06:46
Hi, I'm not very good with computers (just saying that first so you know to use idiot-speak when explaining) and for my computing class, I've somehow ended up needing to create a website (most likely on microsoft publisher, but if that ends up being very complicated, I could probably cobble one together with HTML, I've done that before (even if they were rubbish).

The problem is however, that I need to know how I could enter text into a form on the website, and have it turned into a file in the database, with the text boxes on the website being under the validation rules set up in the database itself. (e.g. presence checks etc.)

That's probably rambling and not making sense, so my summary version:
How do I make a website that will transfer the text entered into it to a database automatically?

Thanks for any replies, and thank you for reading this.

- MagpieRhymes

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 00:46
How do I make a website that will transfer the text entered into it to a database automatically?

you might want to look into using an online database. i think connecting access to the internet is very difficult, and I've never done it. if you want validation techniques via code though, PHP is pretty easy to use to validate form controls. ever tried it?

Local time
Today, 00:46
As Adam alluded to, some program must run on the HTML server to convert the data in your POST into the database. That could be CGI (in any number of languages), PHP, Java Servlets (JSP or EJB), etc. etc.

I wouldn't think that a teacher would ask somebody who has no clue to do something like this. Were there any constraints you were given (like use Frontpage or Dreamweaver or whatever)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom