How to prevent users from opening database in design mode? (1 Viewer)

abdoudiaw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:47
Hi,
I just finished a small Access-2013 database (accdb format).
Now I want to make it available to users.
How do I make an 'executable' (meaning that tables, forms, ... cannot be opened in design mode)?
Thanks.

Poppa Smurf

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:47
Copy the file chnage the file extension to accdr this will open the database as a runtime version.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There is no such thing as an access exe. The access database type is a container and since it contains more than code, it can't become an exe. The best you can do is to compile it and use a couple of lock down features.

If the make .accde option is not available, there are a couple of possibilities:
1. you are working with an .mdb rather than an .accdb
2. there are compile errors

Compiling to an .accde will "protect" forms/reports/modules but not tables/queries/macros. Renaming to .accdr doesn't protect anything since it is a trick that is becoming more widely known. All the user needs to do is to name the file back to .accde to gain access.

What are you trying to protect against?

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
...What are you trying to protect against...

This is always the foremost thing to keep in mind when thinking about security! Do you simply want to prevent an employee with too much time on his or her hands from noodling around inside the file, possibly accidentally causing a problem? Are you afraid a disgruntled employee may deliberately destroy the file? Or someone from outside of the company doing the same thing?

What Access skills level are you protecting against?

...Renaming to .accdr doesn't protect anything since it is a trick that is becoming more widely known...

is certainly valid if you're talking about preventing deliberate sabotage by an Access professional. But converting to Runtime file may be all that's necessary if you're protecting against the idle noodling of a data entry person.

Once again, "What are you trying to protect against?"

Linq ;0)>

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
But converting to Runtime file
This isn't a conversion. It is simply a name change. I distribute as .accdr because unless someone goes to the effort to rename the file, it prevents a lot of potential accidents and is actually better behaved from a user perspective since it eliminates all possibility of getting to the navigation pane but it doesn't offer any security.

haratianant

Local time
Today, 15:17
Hi,
I just finished a small Access-2013 database (accdb format).
Now I want to make it available to users.
How do I make an 'executable' (meaning that tables, forms, ... cannot be opened in design mode)?
Thanks.
Dear friend, if you want to hide the design you can just click at Office Button on left top of the button, and then click on 'access options' click on current database, then go to 'navigation' and checkout 'display navigation pane' and checkout 'allow full menus and allow default short cuts... at Ribbon and tool bar options. Then you just close your data base and again open it would hide entire design option.
Try it

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:47
If you make a "accde" version, be sure to keep a copy of the original file that you use to create it. An "accde" can not be altered.

CedarTree

Registered User.
Local time
Hi - if the user has a full copy of Access, can't they still modify Forms / Queries in an ACCDE file? I'm able to do so... I just can't get to VBA.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 17:47
yes, you can edit the table structure in accde unless you make the table query Invisible.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:47
Hi - if the user has a full copy of Access, can't they still modify Forms / Queries in an ACCDE file? I'm able to do so... I just can't get to VBA.

Hi. Just want to clarify, modifying form design is possible but not as straightforward as with tables, queries, and macros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom