Commute Entertainment Technology Ideas? (1 Viewer)

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:37
I am changing job going from a 30 minute cycle each way to work , to possibly a 40 minute train ride each day.(if not I'll be driving - so its the radio!)

Now I dont want to be sat gazing out of the window - what technology should I be buying, maybe what subscriptions.

So to watch TV live, podcasts, films/tv shows downloaded, read, emails etc etc

Cheers - I am clueless on such things? (in the UK)

Thanks

Ant

Last edited:

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 05:37
Personally, I'd go with an e-reader or a tablet so I could get podcasts, books, pre-downloaded TV shows, you name it.

constableparks

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:37
Here are a few podcast recommendations - and acknowledging that sometimes the podcasts are hit-and-miss, I am specifying a particular episode of each...sort of a "if you don't like this episode of this podcast, no need to try any of their other episodes - you won't like it"

-RadioLab: Season 7; Episode 1; “Animal Minds”

-Freakonomics Radio: Episode: “How Much Does Your Name Matter?”

-This American Life: Episode 500: 500!

-Stuff You Should Know: Episode: What’s the 10,000 Year Clock?

-Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me: August 29, 2009: Michael Pollan Plays “Not My Job”.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I used to read an old fashioned book on my hour train journey, with a radio/mp3 player as well. One or the other..:D

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Cheers - I have some books! I also have my old ipod. Looks like some sort of tablet then, and I'll investigate those podcasts. Ta

Whats the best subscription for content on the go? Netflix?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I use Spotify a lot, you can create your own playlists of any music you fancy, and / or use YouTube, plenty of videos to look at of virtually any subject. Both are free.

I have to say a one hour rush hour train journey sounds courageous, factor in engineering works, train delays and strikes, your one hour may expand. Over here in Essex, commuters pay thousands for a season ticket from here to the smoke, and still have to stand due to overcrowding. A seat is not guaranteed.

Col

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I'm on my third tablet, all working :D and really like the Amazon Fire (My 3rd) and it's price.

Good to start of with at least.

Cheers - I have some books! I also have my old ipod. Looks like some sort of tablet then, and I'll investigate those podcasts. Ta

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I wanted to put ALL my music on the Fire, so bought a 128GB card.

I also get video/music from the likes of Youtube and put on the tablet.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
I use Spotify a lot, you can create your own playlists of any music you fancy, and / or use YouTube, plenty of videos to look at of virtually any subject. Both are free.

I have to say a one hour rush hour train journey sounds courageous, factor in engineering works, train delays and strikes, your one hour may expand. Over here in Essex, commuters pay thousands for a season ticket from here to the smoke, and still have to stand due to overcrowding. A seat is not guaranteed.

Col
Cheers Col - I know - see how the train goes , if not its the car. Its a 50pc pay rise - so I have to give it a go.
Spotify - thanks. I have an account.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
I wanted to put ALL my music on the Fire, so bought a 128GB card.

I also get video/music from the likes of Youtube and put on the tablet.

Man I have so much to learn - can you download from youtube? I think the paperbacks may be more akin to my entertainment technology nouse.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 05:37
Man I have so much to learn - can you download from youtube?

Not without a third-party program, and YouTube is always trying to break them.

I think the paperbacks may be more akin to my entertainment technology nouse.
Meh, while I have a few hundred hardcopy books (one of the few things I don't like about living in an apartment is the lack of a study), I also have a few hundred e-books from Amazon. The nice thing about the various e-readers (mine is an Amazon Kindle Fire) is that e-books are WAY more portable than physical ones, and you can transfer your progress between platforms. (I also have kindle apps on my phone and computer.)

I tend to prefer my magazine subscriptions to be electronic, too - less paper used that way.

I think right now I have a couple dozen books, several hundred mp3s, a half dozen or so TV shows, and one or two movies downloaded to my Kindle.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Man I have so much to learn - can you download from youtube? I think the paperbacks may be more akin to my entertainment technology nouse.

Get signed up at the library, ours even do electronic versions as well.:cool:

marco_pol

Local time
Today, 02:37
Thanks, I was testing that converter recently. I can not say that there is something wrong with it but today I've found solution which is easier and avoid "copy and paste url" idea to download YT content.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Thanks, I was testing that converter recently. I can not say that there is something wrong with it but today I've found solution which is easier and avoid "copy and paste url" idea to download YT content.

Care to share, for the benefit of others? :confused:

mcescher

Busy as usual
Local time
Wife and daughter both have a Fire tablet, and really like them. Local library even has electronic books that you can "check out" on them. In addition to downloading videos, books, podcasts as has been mentioned here before.
Good luck on your new position

mcescher

Busy as usual
Local time
Also, if you're just listening, you phone will do most of that and you can just put it in your pocket. Helpful if there isn't a place to sit down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom