Failing to Format an 800GB Flash (1 Viewer)

amunafc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:02
My Windows can not format my 800GB flash (Sony). Please is there any software that I can use to format it?

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 14:02
800 GB Flash? As in 800 GB Flash drive? USB? There is no way this exists in today's world. Where did you get this drive? Sounds like a fake drive to me.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Today, 11:02
Or it isn't a FLASH drive, but just an external USB hard drive. Is that it?

Vassago

Local time
Wow, what an assclown... check this out:

http://kuriviewd.blogspot.com/2009/06/sony-vaio-pendrive-800-gb.html

What a scam! People, do your research before you fall for stuff like this. If the product doesn't exist anywhere else online, certainly not on Sony's website, do NOT fall for it! These chips can be rewritten to show capacity, but truthfully only hold 1-2 GB usually.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Ah, I'll have to check out the link after I get home (things like that are blocked at work).

Vassago

Local time
Ah, I'll have to check out the link after I get home (things like that are blocked at work).

Basically, it's a scam artist who posted 800 GB, 600 GB, and 400 GB Sony Vaio usb drives on a blog for seemingly very little money that he is coincidentally selling at fantastic prices! :rolleyes:

Even in the comments on his page, people are complaining they don't work.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Interesting. Perfect for the people who don't know any better. If there is money to be made, a scam can be devised to make it and people are very gullible.

amunafc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:02
I managed to save only less than 4GB data for few days then it got corrupted. Each time I connect to a PC, it tells me to FORMAT. But when I click FORMAT, nothing happens...

Vassago

Local time
I managed to save only less than 4GB data for few days then it got corrupted. Each time I connect to a PC, it tells me to FORMAT. But when I click FORMAT, nothing happens...

That's what we are saying. There's no such thing as a 800 GB usb flash drive. Is this truly a FLASH drive or do you mean an External USB Drive? If it's truly a FLASH drive as it sounds, you were more than likely swindled, I'm afraid.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time

Yes, I would say that you have been the victim of a scam and you have a potentially damaged piece of goods there. Time to toss it and buy a new one from a reputable dealer. The largest flash drive out there right now is about 64Gb (there might be a 128Gb) and they cost about US $300 right now. So, if someone is selling you something for way under that range and all, it is likely a scam.

Vassago

Local time
Yes, I would say that you have been the victim of a scam and you have a potentially damaged piece of goods there. Time to toss it and buy a new one from a reputable dealer. The largest flash drive out there right now is about 64Gb (there might be a 128Gb) and they cost about US $300 right now. So, if someone is selling you something for way under that range and all, it is likely a scam.

Yes, 128 GB are available, but very expensive. Definitely not worth the price.

You might be better off buying a portable hard drive if you need a large amount of storage space. They are powered by USB and are much cheaper.

stoma

Local time
Today, 13:02
I also got this 800GB thumbdrive. checked it out with all possible windows tools and it showed 792 GB. Copied my 500GB external harddrive on it and it showed about 75% used. Deleted all files again. Since I had some corrupt files (previous crash) on my backup, I couldn't delete those 5 files. on the stick. Tried to format the stick. it went through and then came up with can not finish formating. Now I can not even access the flashdrive any more. :-:)confused:

Attachments

• IMG00063-20100413-2231 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00063-20100413-2231 (Medium).jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 446

Vassago

Local time
I also got this 800GB thumbdrive. checked it out with all possible windows tools and it showed 792 GB. Copied my 500GB external harddrive on it and it showed about 75% used. Deleted all files again. Since I had some corrupt files (previous crash) on my backup, I couldn't delete those 5 files. on the stick. Tried to format the stick. it went through and then came up with can not finish formating. Now I can not even access the flashdrive any more. :-:)confused:

Yeah, like we pointed out above, you got swindled. It's fake. There is no such thing as an 800 gb thumb drive. What they do is reprogram the chips to report as an 800 gb drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom