Record set is not updatable (1 Viewer)

Coldsteel

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:33
Hello,

I am trying to edit my query and keep getting the error Record set is not updatable. Is any one able to assist me with this issue

Here is my sql

SELECT Inv.[ID], Inv.[Area], Inv.[Hosting], Inv.[Type], Inv.[Ser_num]
FROM Lease INNER JOIN Inv
ON Lease.Serial = Inv.Ser_num;

Thanks

Trevor G

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:33
This may be down to the relationships, can you pop a stripped down version into your thread will be more useful to look at it.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 19:33
Hello,

I am trying to edit my query and keep getting the error Record set is not updatable. Is any one able to assist me with this issue

Here is my sql

SELECT Inv.[ID], Inv.[Area], Inv.[Hosting], Inv.[Type], Inv.[Ser_num]
FROM Lease INNER JOIN Inv
ON Lease.Serial = Inv.Ser_num;

Thanks

Trevor is right about the issues with relationships. Another thing to consider is whether the Table Inv has any Fields other than [ID], [Area], [Hosting], [Type], and [Ser_num]. If there are additional Fields, and any of them are required, then the Dataset might not be updateable.

-- Rookie

Coldsteel

Registered User.
Local time
Here it is thanks

Attachments

• Database1.zip
    23.8 KB · Views: 124

Coldsteel

Registered User.
Local time
I have tried to looking on my properties settings but I have not yet found the cause of why access won't let me update my records

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
You need to enter some meaningful data so we know what the field represents and how they should relate. The main issue you're having is that Access doesn't understand the relationships which could be a result of your Primary Keys not being well defined.

Coldsteel

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks, for the help. Here is some more data.

Attachments

• Database1.accdb
    568 KB · Views: 85

Trevor G

Registered User.
Local time
I would advice that you learn about normilazation, the database you have attached has no relationships (in the relationship window), when I explore the design of your tables you are setting the text field for the serial numbers to 255 (to big for a serial number) characters not setting anything as a required field so the relations can only show indeterminate.

I would suggest you look at how to create a relational database, you can find plenty of demos on YouTube.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
I would advice that you learn about normilazation, the database you have attached has no relationships (in the relationship window), when I explore the design of your tables you are setting the text field for the serial numbers to 255 (to big for a serial number) characters not setting anything as a required field so the relations can only show indeterminate.

I would suggest you look at how to create a relational database, you can find plenty of demos on YouTube.
Here are some good references:

http://www.deeptraining.com/litwin/dbdesign/FundamentalsOfRelationalDatabaseDesign.aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283878

Coldsteel

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks, for the help and the references.
I have been studying them, and I have a question. Basically I have a excel report I receive from another dept with incomplete data the table I call Lease. The field SerialNum is always missing some data, but it gets updated as the excel sheets come. Basically the lease data has how much I pay on pcs and the Inv table is what I have on hand. What I want is basically as I upload new leases I want to be able to match the 2 tables by serial numbers and to be able to be able to update both as needed with my simple query. I have put a one to many relationship, to help but I cant get how to match the two tables by the serial number constantly and to stop the Record set is not updatable error I keep getting. Here is my new updated database with some sample data. Any more help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Updated Data.accdb
    672 KB · Views: 76

Coldsteel

Registered User.
Local time
I have tried the different ways to create the table relationships but I not had any success allowing the query to be updated is there a bypass feature in access?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
I have tried the different ways to create the table relationships but I not had any success allowing the query to be updated is there a bypass feature in access?
There's no bypass feature of an integral part of relational databases. Your table structure and purpose just needs to be thought through.

Perhaps start by explaining what the tables should be for.

Coldsteel

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the help,

Basically, I want to import the data to a tbl called Lease and then compare it to the Inv table by serial numbers and be able to edit both on the query.

Table Lease will always be imported data, it comes form a different dept.
the field SerialNum (will have serial numbers and sometimes may not have anything in the field.)
the field Money (will be the rental cost of the item)

Table Inv is what Inventory we have on hand
the field Area (Is the location of the Item)
the field Hosting (Is the Host site of the Item)
the field Type (The Item Description)
the field Ser_num (Serial Number of the Item, there will always be a serial number on this field)
the field Lease (Is what I tried to make a relationship with the Lease table)

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Then what you want is a subform for Inv and the parent form will be bound to Lease, linked via the Serial number.

Coldsteel

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks,
That's a great idea, I just built a form and subform, is there a way to make it in data sheet format as a continuous line

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
You can have the subform in Datasheet View but the parent form has to be a Single Form. If you want to change the subform to appear as a Datasheet, you can do so in the Default View property of the form.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:33
You started a new thread on this topic. Please don't do that or at least have the courtesy to tell us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom