Using OLE Object for multiple images on a continuous form (1 Viewer)

jjake

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:17
Hello,

I have a form that allows multiple users to sign an agreement. combo box (cboyesno) choices are

Undecided, Yes, No

I have a continuous form that reviews all the open agreements where all parties have not selected Yes. These are open agreements.

I would like to display a nice custom image that will display either a check image, cross image or blank image depending on the selection in the users cboYesNo.

I tried an OLE object field in the table of tblYesNo and insert the image for each selection and reference them on the continuous form but cannot get the image to appear.

Is this the right approach?

Below is an example of what i want to achieve but obviously the individual records will have different results

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 22:17
Did you link the images into your underlying query ?

There is a bar graph / arrow meter demo somewhere that uses this technique. I use it but can't find the original at the moment.

Attachments

• BarGraphs.PNG
    BarGraphs.PNG
    44.7 KB · Views: 366

jjake

Registered User.
Local time
I embedded them in the table for now because this is a split system with multiple users having a different drive map on their computers, i dont think path linking will work.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Sorry - I meant to say saved in a local table on the FE, as an OLE Object , which sounds like what you have done. It's not normally a big overhead.

As you can see it does work. So I wonder why yours isn't?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
The link for the Dashboard Graphics demo used be based at datapig technologies, but it appears to be dead.
Hitech Coach has a load of links on his site to the same demo, and they are dead as well so I'm assuming the site is down.

jjake

Registered User.
Local time
I tried searching for it too but every website wants a credit card. that's too bad, that looks to be exactly what i need.

Would i use an bound object frame in the detail field of my continuous form? How do i link this to my table image?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:17
Hi,

Rather than an OLE field, I wonder if you could use the image gallery for this but I can’t check right now.

Sent from phone...

AccStudent

Local time
Tomorrow, 06:17
I embedded them in the table for now because this is a split system with multiple users having a different drive map on their computers, i dont think path linking will work.

In my opinion,all of your partners can use a share disk path to save the img.
for example the path like:\\192.168.0.1\img\
and you put images into the folder “img”,and save the path in tblimg

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 18:17
Seems like you are making this overly complicated. You only have three images
custom image that will display either a check image, cross image or blank image
Distribute the three images with the front end and store in the same folder as the front end. Then use a bound picture control. You know the file name and the path since it is currentproject.path. You will have to bind to a query that concatenates the path and filename base on what you want to show.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I would have thought three images stored in the table directly for this would be pretty efficient and work without having to store things externally.

I don't understand why it won't display.

Can you post up your sample data and your form?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
For a similar situation where I need to use the same images repeatedly, I use the method suggested earlier and store several small images in the image gallery.
It's fast, efficient and has little impact on database size

MajP

Local time
I don't understand why it won't display
The likely cause is that the images are not stored as Bitmaps. I believe only bitmaps will render. Other picture types will only show as icons. But yes if the OP uses a bitmap the simple solution is to use an OLE field and it will render in a continuous form.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The likely cause is that the images are not stored as Bitmaps. I believe only bitmaps will render. Other picture types will only show as icons. But yes if the OP uses a bitmap the simple solution is to use an OLE field and it will render in a continuous form.

Using images stored in the image gallery, you can have png, gig, or jpg images all of which render perfectly as images (not icons) on a form.

MajP

Local time
Using images stored in the image gallery, you can have png, gig, or jpg images all of which render perfectly as images (not icons) on a form
OK, but that was not the question. The question was why the OLE objects were not showing.
I tried an OLE object field in the table of tblYesNo and insert the image for each selection and reference them on the continuous form but cannot get the image to appear.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Yes but other valid suggestions have since been made for dealing with this situation

MajP

Local time
Yes but other valid suggestions have since been made for dealing with this situation
So what? I am just answering the question of why the OLE may not be rendering. I never said any of the other methods are were not viable, and even suggested one.

Last edited by a moderator:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@MajP
I know from more than one previous post of yours that you consider yourself
better than over 99% of so-called Access developers

However, the way to prove that is not to be rude to as many people as possible on this forum. Unfortunately, that is something you are getting a reputation for.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
So what? I am just answering the question of why the OLE may not be rendering. I never said any of the other methods are were not viable, and even suggested one. Do you ever know when to shut up and give it a rest?
Hold up there matey, you are close to crossing the line.

An apology to Ridders might be a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Please be respectful to all members in the help forums. Users come here for help. People have different ideas on how something can be accomplished is a good thing and should be encouraged. Please don't let it turn into an argument that doesn't address the user's issue.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
By chance, I've just found the example app on my PC that Minty referred to in post 2.
As it seems its currently not available online, its attached in case its any use to anyone

Attachments

• DatabaseGraphics.zip
    779 KB · Views: 108

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom