Maintaining database on remote (1 Viewer)

Jonny

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:06
I have built a database to some customer, now need to maintanence it on remote.
What is the best way to do that? Caspio or equivallents are not the option.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:06
Depends on what you mean by maintenance - if you mean you will be doing things like fixing problems, undertaking installation etc, your customer needs to allow you remote access so you can connect through remote desktop. Failing that you can use something like skype or zoom - but that requires the customer to be present to grant you access.

If you mean you have an updated front end - then in principle you can just email it for the customer to install.

Jonny

Registered User.
Local time
I wish to be able to create a new queries, forms, e.t.c for him. Am I alone in this world who maintains databases to his customers or am I missing something?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:06
I suspect the two major methods are remoting into their computer as CJ mentions (Teamviewer, etc) or making the changes on your computer and sending the customer the new front end. You can replicate their environment so they don't have to relink or provide relinking code. I've used all of those methods.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You have a copy, make the changes in your copy of the fe and send it to the customer.

Am I alone in this world who maintains databases to his customers or am I missing something?
No - I maintain my client databases

In all cases I have the master copy and make changes to that then either:

Send the client a copy via email
use remote desktop to install it myself
use skype/zoom to install via that instead

Other options I've used in the past similar to skype/zoom are teamviewer and jump desktop

I also use last 2 methods when a client asks for a one-off requirement outside the scope of the app I provided.

Oh, and I have one client who is only 20 mins away - I have remote desktop for them but occasionally will pop round and work on one of their machines.

I sometimes wrap the app up in an installer package for new apps - depends on the requirements.

How do you imagine you would support your client?

Jonny

Registered User.
Local time
For instance Excel has a web equivallent called Google Sheets.
Is there something similar for Access?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:06
For instance Excel has a web equivallent called Google Sheets.
Is there something similar for Access?
Sort of, it's called SharePoint.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
google sheets is nowhere near as powerful as a desktop excel - about the equivalent of office 365 online excel. However you can combine it with Google Forms

There is no real equivalent to access but here is a link with some suggestions

https://www.hyperoffice.com/blog/2019/03/04/microsoft-access-online-alternatives/

It includes Caspio which you have said is not an option so not sure whether they are relevant. In any event you would need to start from scratch since there is no way to convert something developed in Access.

If it is only the backend you are maintaining then another option would be SQL Azure but that is only the BE, does not include forms/reports

if you want free then take a look at this link

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-easy-use-free-alternatives-microsoft-access/

however not sure how or if these can be maintained remotely. Libra Office looks like a possibility - talks about Base making websites

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom