XBOX 360 crashes (1 Viewer)

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Today, 11:37
Hi there

My mate keeps pestering me to get an XBOX 360, while I agree the on line gaming looks really well set up and the games look great I am a little put off about the amount of people getting faults. I know my mate has got the 'dreaded ring of red' twice since owning one for about a year and a half ago. I dont really want to buy one if its going to keep going wrong, that kind of thing annoys the hell out of me ;)

Has anyone else had experiences with XBOX 360 hardware failures? is it worth me getting one?

voidcranium

Registered Something.
Local time
Today, 05:37
Hi there

My mate keeps pestering me to get an XBOX 360, while I agree the on line gaming looks really well set up and the games look great I am a little put off about the amount of people getting faults. I know my mate has got the 'dreaded ring of red' twice since owning one for about a year and a half ago. I dont really want to buy one if its going to keep going wrong, that kind of thing annoys the hell out of me ;)

Has anyone else had experiences with XBOX 360 hardware failures? is it worth me getting one?

I just saw last Friday that Microsoft is going to spend 1 Billion to fix the Xbox360.
So I would not until they get whatever is broken fixed.

yippie_ky_yay

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:37
I plan on getting one as well, but not yet for the same reason (1/3 failures by some accounts!:eek: ).

I really only want Halo 3 which is supposed to come out in September and I have a PS3 right now, so I might just wait to see if MS comes out with a Halo 3 package deal (hopefully they'll have everything sorted by then).

voidcranium

Registered Something.
Local time
Today, 05:37

yippie_ky_yay

Registered User.
Local time
MS is claiming that electricity protection is another possibility for the problems.
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40875
Apparently ninety percent of the failed consoles have been plugged into a surge protector, so Vole thinks they are responsible. Using a similar logic 100 percent of them were also switched on so maybe the power switch is to blame.

E3 is this week. Some pre-announcements have already been made including a Halo styled 360 (not sure if it will be packaged with the game or not). :)

kidrobot

Registered User.
Local time
If I need to get my xbox repaired do I need my receipt? They extended the warranty, but I lost my receipt a long time ago.

yippie_ky_yay

Registered User.
Local time
If I need to get my xbox repaired do I need my receipt? They extended the warranty, but I lost my receipt a long time ago.
I would think that you would be ok without it because even if you bought it on day 1 it would be covered under the warranty (imo).

I did see one poster say that he didn't need to provide one when he sent his in.

yippie_ky_yay

Registered User.
Local time
E3 is this week. Some pre-announcements have already been made including a Halo styled 360 (not sure if it will be packaged with the game or not). :)
Well, here are the specs for the package (with no Halo 3 game ????).:confused:

* Halo 3 Special Edition Console
* Halo 3 Special Edition Wireless Controller
* Halo 3 Special Edition 20GB Hard Drive
* Halo 3 Special Edition Wired Headset
* Halo 3 Special Edition Gamer Pics and Theme (Exclusive download via Xbox LIVE)
* Component HD AV Cable
* Ethernet Cable
* HDMI Port
* Play & Charge Kit
* Xbox LIVE Silver Membership
* One-month Lbox LIVE Gold Membership
* Halo 3 game not included—sold separately

It's basically an elite with a 20gb hard drive instead of 120 and a new paint job (I think I'll go with an elite before this one).

kidrobot

Registered User.
Local time
I would think that you would be ok without it because even if you bought it on day 1 it would be covered under the warranty (imo).

I did see one poster say that he didn't need to provide one when he sent his in.

What if my xbox isn't broken but it is just really used lol. Sometimes it doesn't read the disc correctly and sometimes it does. Under what circumstances do they send you a new box?

yippie_ky_yay

Registered User.
Local time
What if my xbox isn't broken but it is just really used lol. Sometimes it doesn't read the disc correctly and sometimes it does. Under what circumstances do they send you a new box?
I can't say for MS, but usually companies will try and fix it before giving you a replacement (which is usually another unit that they've fixed - not brand new). Also, from this site (http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=85600&src=site-marq) - the extended warranty might be limited to ones showing "Red Ring".
The extended warranty period is limited to hardware failures indicated by three flashing red lights on the console. Users of consoles suffering from such problems are entitled to free repairs and shipping.

For SQL_Hell - at least it now sounds like they may know what the issue is:
Microsoft did not disclose the exact nature of the problems, but said that it had made the necessary design changes and that units currently in stock will be upgraded.
You can usually find out online what serial numbers to look for so you can make sure that you're buying a newer one and avoid all this.

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Hey,

Thanks for all the responses, well at least they are acknowledging the problems are theirs and offering warranties, free repair ect.

Cant say I am too keen on the Halo paint job, makes it look like something they used in the second world war :D

I am definitely still thinking about getting one, when I do get one I will post my online profile name and maybe some of us can meet up for a game :)

Kwertyboy

Local time
I'm on my 5th 360

3 consoles with red rings of death.. last console scrapped my disks.

MS Support left alot to be desired. Kept accusing me of moving the console (which i hadn't). They still haven't admited responsibility and i have just given up. Luckily they sent me another console but i still have the broken one at home (they never sent a returns box, and i am that disgusted with the service that i never called them to return it)

By the sounds of things its a lottery. You may get a good one, and have no issues. My friend is still on his first from release date with no problems.

Noel

rsmonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:37
i've had me 360 for about a year now and it has crashed once in its life... something about Tom Clancy Las Vegas that is a real killer for the 360! neways mine crashed because i put it in my draw for space saving and it got a tad hot :p mind you i did invest in extra 360 fans a cuple weeks after i bought it and i think that helped alot!

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Hello again,

Well I finally managed to venture outside my flat and buy an xbox 360.
Got it home started playing Halo 3 and the screen kept breaking up, kinda like random polygons appearing on screen. This seemed to be happening intermitantly so the next week I took it back to the shop with some mobile phone video footage of the screen screwing up. The shop gave me a new one, once I showed them the footage on my phone.

Got the new one back home and so far I have had 2 weeks of problemless gaming.

Apart from the minor set back, all in all I am very happy with it :)

Just hope I dont get any more problems

rsmonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Yep quality system m8.. you gotta years warranty on that badboy so its all good! I will warn you now though that Tom Clancy Las Vegas will crash your xbox wen playing with 2 people on the same console! I have yet to played on a console that didnt crash on this game wilth multiple players... however that game is so awsome its a must...

Other must Xbox 360 games:

Guitar Hero 2
BioShock
Tom Clancy Rainbow Six Las Vegas
Quake 4 (i enjoyed it )
Halo 3
Splinter Cell Double Agent
Advanced War Fighter 1 & 2

havent had the bucks to buy nemore decent games ;)

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
ok so with the release of assasians creed upcoming in the next 2 weeks im seriously thinking about going 360. ive been a PS man all my life, but from what ive seen and played on the 360 im having a hard time staying loyal......

if i do it im told i should be going with the elite box... is it worth all that extra money?

does anyone know if the 360 has been cracked like the xbox was?

rsmonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Go for it m8 i've had my console for a year now its a premium edition one so its the original white one with all the mod cons on it... and it has crashed a couple times but that is purely due to the games that have been released. Being honest the only game that has crashed on me was Tom Clancy - Rainbow Six Las Vegas and this was only in multiplayer mode when there was more than 1 person playing on the same console. However the beauty of xbox live is that games are constantly updated so Clancy doesnt crash anymore. Oh and xbox live is awsome compared to the PS3 live scene which im not sure has even been released yet?

Looking foward to Assassins creed & Guitar hero 3 & Call Of Duty 4 etc etc.. loadsa amazing games coming. The only thing the PS3 has in Metal Gear Solid!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom