Our wonderful political system (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 07:32

Attachments

• B88056C7-1A99-4D6F-B68B-C7D8B804AC15.jpg
    B88056C7-1A99-4D6F-B68B-C7D8B804AC15.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 170

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:32
Works for me.

As I recall, Obama faced a situation with a split Congress, too.

The problem is that the Democrats, with their power, can now hold up ALL legislation including that which shouldn't be based on partisan politics. They can hold up the works and become the visible speed bumps to useful legislation.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
True, much like the Republicants did to Obummer while the Democraps had the Oval Office.

Same shitty lyrics to the same shitty song...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Reminds me of that silly little ditty "I'm Henery the 8th I am" that includes the line "Second verse, same as the first..."

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:32
Thanks Doc. I've now got that f***ing song on the brain.

Everyone was an Henery
None of them a Willy or a Sam

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:32
Great...now I've got that song in my head too. :(

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Before you rail about Democratic obstruction, let me point out that the Republicants earned the nickname 'The party of NO' fair and square after they won Congress in 2010. And also don't forget that McConnell was caught on tape explicitly telling the rest of the GOP at a meeting right after that midterm that the primary goal of the GOP was to ensure that Obama accomplished nothing.

If the Democrats shut down everything Trump and McConnell try to do, they're simply following the the trail blazed by the Republicants eight years ago.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Frothy, there is no question on that point, but it didn't start eight years ago. It has been building for many years. I don't remember it being this bad until Obama came in, but there were party-line politics situations in Congress before.

I.e. we are talking a matter of degree, not kind.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Currently the Democrats have been calling for the public harassment of people who are associated with the Trump administration. Hillary Clinton even remarked that you don't need to be civil with the Republicans. Now that the House will be flipping to Democratic control in January, will the Democrats resume civil behavior?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
...I’m her 8th old man, I’m ‘enery. ‘Enery the 8th I am...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Speaking of the USA Election system, how about the dead man winning an election even though the polling places clearly posted signs stating that he had died too late to remove his name from the ballot...

https://primetimenewsng.com/2018/11/07/dead-man-wins-election-in-u-s/

He won by 53% to 47%. He owned several legal brothels in Nevada (where prostitution is legal) and was a "party hearty" type of person. He ran as a republican. You have to ask yourself how the Democrat felt after losing an election to a corpse.

As I understand Nevada state rules, the state governor will have to appoint a Republican to fill the set until the next opportunity to put the seat on a ballot. Probably not before 6 months from now at the earliest.

If anyone asks, here is what I believe happened. The elections were Tuesday but the candidate died on Saturday, two days before the election. Since his name had appeared on the absentee ballots (when he was still alive), he could not be removed from the voting machine ballots now that he was dead.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It was more like 3 weeks before, but too late to change the sample ballots. He wasn't a candidate in our part of the state, but I'd guess that people still voted for him so a republican would be appointed.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Well, at least he won't vote for new taxes!

Now, if this were Chicago from about 20 years ago...

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
It was more like 3 weeks before, but too late to change the sample ballots. He wasn't a candidate in our part of the state, but I'd guess that people still voted for him so a republican would be appointed.

Exactly. Sad state of affairs, this paradigm of ours...

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Nevada seems normal when compared to Florida.
Unfortunately Nevada has become a suburb of California. The voting there reflects that. Rural conservatives are now being outvoted by the continuing immigration of people into urban Las Vegas and urban Reno.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Nevada, Arizona and Texas are very attractive retirement destinations for displaced California (Independents) or conservatives. Four more years and we will picking one.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Unfortunately Nevada has become a suburb of California. The voting there reflects that. Rural conservatives are now being outvoted by the continuing immigration of people into urban Las Vegas and urban Reno.

That is very true. The funny thing is, they leave CA in part to get away from the high taxes and high costs caused by the policies there, and then come vote for the same policies here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom