Referential Integrity Relationships - in vba (1 Viewer)

myrt

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:25
Hi! Hope you're not still fed up with me :p.
I'd like to appeal to your knowledge.
I'm thinking about creating temporary (while db open) relationships between tables, since transfering tables is possible only if no linked relationships are present. However it's important to preserve in some cases referential integrity.
Looking online, I found this code:

Code:
Public Function CreateRelation(primaryTableName As String, _
primaryFieldName As String, foreignTableName As String,  _ 
foreignFieldName As String) As Boolean

On Error GoTo ErrHandler

Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim newRelation As DAO.Relation
    Dim relatingField As DAO.Field
    Dim relationUniqueName As String

relationUniqueName = primaryTableName + "_" + primaryFieldName + _
                         "__" + foreignTableName + "_" + foreignFieldName

Set db = CurrentDb()

'Arguments for CreateRelation(): any unique name,
    'primary table, related table, attributes.
    Set newRelation = db.CreateRelation(relationUniqueName, _
                            primaryTableName, foreignTableName)
    'The field from the primary table.
    Set relatingField = newRelation.CreateField(primaryFieldName)
    'Matching field from the related table.
    relatingField.ForeignName = foreignFieldName
    'Add the field to the relation's Fields collection.
    newRelation.Fields.Append relatingField
    'Add the relation to the database.
    db.Relations.Append newRelation

Set db = Nothing

CreateRelation = True

Exit Function

Even with the comments I don't really understand what exactly this code does or doesn't do.
I tried the code. It seems (?) to create a relationship. Since the relationship doesn't show up in the relationships table, I'm not really sure if it's there.
It would be nice if someone explained to me:
- why it's not visible among other relashionships (or is it me?? :confused: maybe, it wasn't the code that was working but the query...)
- how to implement referential integrity
- what's the behaviour of this supposed relationship. Is it permanent or not? If not when is it deleted?

If someone has a link to some easy to understand explainations, I'd gladly read them.
Keep in mind that in front of you is a novice. :) Thanks!

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Back up and tell us the story without any technobabble: what is the original issue you are trying to handle using your solution?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:25
what the code does is this

- a relation is an object in itself that has a name, and details of the tables involved in the relation, and the relation type (the same choices you get when you create it manually)

- there are then a series of relation-field-pairs if you will that identify the join fields between the two tables

that is what your code is managing.

myrt

Registered User.
Local time
what the code does is this

- a relation is an object in itself that has a name, and details of the tables involved in the relation, and the relation type (the same choices you get when you create it manually)

- there are then a series of relation-field-pairs if you will that identify the join fields between the two tables

that is what your code is managing.

That much I had already gatered. Thanks for answering. I will try to read more on relationship objects on the net and be more prepared next time.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
the relationship you create will show up in the relationships pane. You may need to show the tables to see it graphically, as they do not show by default. That's probably why you can't see it.

The relationship indicates how tables are linked. When you put both tables in a query, the link according to the relationship will be made automatically in the query.

If the link is specified to maintain relational integrity then you cannot add/delete records that would not be consistent with such RI.

It's probably quite unusual to create relationships in code. Much easier in the relationship pane.

myrt

Registered User.
Local time
Back up and tell us the story without any technobabble: what is the original issue you are trying to handle using your solution?

There are two almost identical databases. On one we make experiments (let's call it AA), on the other data is inserted (BB). When the experiments are successful, the data tables (BB) are transfered into this database (AA) in order to have new functions. A copy is made and on this copy data continue to be inserted.
To overwrite tables in the receiving db (AA), the relashionships are to be deleted and later recreated. It's becoming tiring to do this every time.
So I thought a possible solution could be to have relations that disappear the the db is closed. This could be done through code.

I imagine other solutions possible as well. It's just that I didn't really what to link the two databases since they don't remain the same. Better yet, one is almost always the same (AA), the other (BB) is from time to time a copy of the current one (AA) implemented with the data tables.

Suggestions?

myrt

Registered User.
Local time
the relationship you create will show up in the relationships pane. You may need to show the tables to see it graphically, as they do not show by default. That's probably why you can't see it.

The relationship indicates how tables are linked. When you put both tables in a query, the link according to the relationship will be made automatically in the query.

If the link is specified to maintain relational integrity then you cannot add/delete records that would not be consistent with such RI.

It's probably quite unusual to create relationships in code. Much easier in the relationship pane.

That's the problem. The relationship doesn't show up in the relationship pane. I click 'Show All Relationships' and still nothing is visible. I'm not sure if it's normal or the relationship for some reason wasn't created. So I'm looking for information about relationships created through code.
I agree with you. It's significally simplier to manage relationships in the pane.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
You'll probably need to disambiguate objects and preface all db objects by Dao, so fx

Dim X as Database

becomes

Dim X as Dao.Database

and so on

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
That's the problem. The relationship doesn't show up in the relationship pane. I click 'Show All Relationships' and still nothing is visible. I'm not sure if it's normal or the relationship for some reason wasn't created. So I'm looking for information about relationships created through code.
I agree with you. It's significally simplier to manage relationships in the pane.

Are the tables linked or local. You can't create relationships in a linked table, although that should error, and I can't see any error handling

Have you definitely added the tables affected to the relationship pane. You may need to do this to see the relation.

myrt

Registered User.
Local time
Are the tables linked or local. You can't create relationships in a linked table, although that should error, and I can't see any error handling

Have you definitely added the tables affected to the relationship pane. You may need to do this to see the relation.

Just to experiment the code, I went to the relationship pane in the same database where the function posted above was saved and deleted an existing relationship with referential integrity (So the table is definitely added to the pane. However, even if it wasn't added, I believe when 'Show all relationships' is clicked all relationships and therefore connected tables should appear).
Then I called the funtion inside the Form_Load event of a form that used that table, opened the form and went to see if the relationship showed up in the pane. Not sure how else to test the function.

The problem could be the usage I made of the function. However since the full understanding of this function still evades me, I just tired in the most logical way to me.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
OK

I just noticed you do have a error handler

I would put a breakpoint in there and step through - see if it errors out. Maybe it does, and your error handler just continues without reporting the error.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom