Making a Library Management database (1 Viewer)

Cubsm22p

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:19
Here is what I have started with in that attachment,
I am having trouble with figuring this out in the 'Check Books In/Out' Form

**VBA challenge coding/getting amount owed if book is overdue
Need to subtract 2 date/time format fields and get a number
If that number is over (7 days) then a $.50 penalty is added for every day after 7 days

Any tips on this problem or anything else you think i could add or benefit from would be appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• LMS.accdb
    432 KB · Views: 170

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:19
Any tips on this problem or anything else you think i could add or benefit from would be appreciated

Thanks

Yes, the first thing is write down the calculation. You can write it down on a piece of paper, you could do it in an Excel or Google spreadsheet, get it working to your satisfaction. That's the first step. From there, you can then think about how you will code it.

Coding it; I would imagine you've got the date the book was loaned, and you would know today's date. Subtract the date it was loaned from today's date and you would have the number of days. Divide that by 7 x .5 and you've got your fine.

So get that down on paper first, show your thinking!

Last edited:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:19
You started at the wrong spot.
Start with a clear statement of the requirement; identify tables and relationships.
Work through( about 30-45 minutes) this tutorial from RogersAccessLibrary and you will learn the basics of database design.
Good luck

Last edited:

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:19
You might want to look at the MS Lending Library database template. I don't think it has utility to calculate overdue fine but should be modifiable.

Expression in query triggers a popup input prompt: Expr1: [AO]=[Archive]![ReturnDate]-[Archive]![DueDate]

What should I enter into [AO]?

Would have been nice to have sample data.

What is purpose of Archive table?

Members table name misspelled as Memebers.

Employee names should be in Employees table, not ReservedBooks. Save employee ID into ReservedBooks.

Cubsm22p

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:19
Yes, the first thing is write down the calculation. You can write it down on a piece of paper, you could do it in an Excel or Google spreadsheet, get it working to your satisfaction. That's the first step. From there, you can then think about how you will code it.

Coding it; I would imagine you've got the date the book was loaned, and you would know today's date. Subtract the date it was loaned from today's date and you would have the number of days. Divide that by 7 x .5 and you've got your fine.

So get that down on paper first, show your thinking!

Thanks For the help I got the fee to work

Attachments

• LMS.accdb
    992 KB · Views: 140

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom