Switchboards (1 Viewer)

aneats

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:17
I have created a switchboard, however i do not want every user to view each of the forms/reports on it, so what i want is something, that when i select a particular form from the switchboard, the user is asked to enter a password, and if they don't know that password, they can't view the form.
i don't want to use access built in security.
would i need to do this at form/ report design level, ie. put some code in 'on click'?

DES

Technoweenie
Local time
Today, 05:17
Actually it is probably better to have them log in when they get into the program and only allow them access from there.

I have attached a sample of one I use a lot. Any problems let me know.

technoweenie@sympatico.ca

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:17
It is almost impossible to keep the gremlins out of a login table that holds user names and passwords
unless you are using Access security.

Try my code below if you do not want to use a form and do not mind the simplicity of an input box.
It is designed to be run from the onclick event of a command button on a main form. You could use the code
in the onopen event of a form and have the form close if the user does not key the correct password.

Code:
Private Sub bOpenFormClick_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_bOpenFormClick_Click

Dim strInput As String
    Dim strMsg As String

Beep
    strMsg = "These functions are used only by the special people." & vbCrLf & vbLf & "Please key the Special Form password to allow access."
    strInput = InputBox(Prompt:=strMsg, title:="Special Form Password")
    If strInput = "SpecialPassword" Then 'password is correct
        Beep
        DoCmd.OpenForm "fSpecialForm"
        DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Name
    Else 'password is incorrect
        Beep
        MsgBox "Incorrect Password!" & vbCrLf & vbLf & "You are not allowed access to the special form.", vbCritical, "Invalid Password"
        Exit Sub
    End If

bEdit_Click_Exit:
    Exit Sub

Err_bEdit_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Number & " " & Err.Description
    Resume bEdit_Click_Exit

Exit_bOpenFormClick_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_bOpenFormClick_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Number & " " & Err.Description
    Resume Exit_bOpenFormClick_Click

End Sub
You can not format an input box!

HTH

aneats

Registered User.
Local time
OK, so can i clarify what this does... If i put this code on the 'on open' of my main form (called 'Mandays'), another form will open when i open 'Mandays' that prompts the user for a username and password, and 'Mandays' will open if these are correct?
Maybe i'm wrong.

If i tell you what i'm trying to achieve, then maybe you could help..
I have created a small database, based on the days worked by 6 inspectors. there is also a manager (who the database was created for). ecah month the inspectors enter into the form 'Mandays' figures for the days they have worked for that month. Based on these figures, charts and reports are produced that only the manager should see.
So what i'm after is some kind of form that asks for the username and password, and if it is an inspector using the system, only the form 'Mandays' will be available to them(as this is all they are allowed to see). If it is the manager using the system, i want him to be able to view several Queries, Forms, and Reports.
Do you know how this is possible.

Thanks.

VOLLEGAAS

Registered User.
Local time
DES have you got that same sample but one that is made in Acces 2000? I can't seem to get it working.......
Thanks in advance

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
ghudson said:
It is almost impossible to keep the gremlins out of a login table that holds user names and passwords unless you are using Access security.

One thing I've done on this is made a small encryption routine that when a user creates their password it stores it in the table as what looks like a jumble of letters and punctuation.

This is relatively simple but it could help.

Code:
Function Entry(ByRef strPassword As String) As String

Dim strCode As String, intCounter As Integer

For intCounter = 1 To Len(strPassword)
        If intCounter Mod 2 = 0 Then
            strCode = strCode + Chr(Asc(Mid(UCase(strPassword), intCounter, 1)) + 1)
        Else
            strCode = strCode + Chr(Asc(Mid(UCase(strPassword), intCounter, 1)) + 2)
        End If
    Next intCounter

Entry = strCode

End Function

Just another idea...

freightguy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:17
If we were to use GHUDSON's code, would it be possible to use it in the Switchboard menu? I can see this being used if you have a main form but can't see where to place this code anywhere in the switchboard form.
thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom