Long Text (1 Viewer)

Gismo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:22
Hi all,
I have a few questions regarding text and reports

1. Is there a limit to the amount of characters is a long text field?
I have a field that requires approximately 400 characters but seems to cut off half way through.

2. How do i use indent to align text fields when I use bullets or numbering?
The lines below the bullet is aligned under neath the bullet instead of in line with the first letter after the bullet.
Capture.PNG
I suppose there is now way to have sub numbering line spacing smaller than between main items?

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 02:22
Is your Longtext set for RTF or Plain?

400 characters should not be an issue. Check to make sure your not limiting what is displayed though.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:22
Truncation occurs when you use some functions that have limits. Is there a way for you to count characters in the result? Because if the count is exactly 255, you used something that is valid only for Short Text operations. This crops up now and then, but we would have to look at some code that fills this in. Or is it a bound field?

Mark is correct that to do what you want you will need to check what formatting choice has been specified for this field and control. Normally when you want to control things this precisely, your better bet is an RTF-formatted string.

However, IF this item is constant, you might want to consider a hyperlink to a constant file that is already formatted correctly. If you have to do substitutions in it first, though, then that wouldn't work so well.

Gismo

Registered User.
Local time
I have a full word document which I imported line by line into a table and added indexing for differed sections in my report. There is no funny business going on in that table, pure text, normal sentences.
My field is set to plain, I will make a copy of the table and try using RTF formatting.
Tnx for the advise.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:22
If you have a full word document and want to display it, there IS such a thing as adding bookmarks to the Word document and then learning how to open a Word Application object to that document, telling it to .GoTo to select a specific bookmark, and then bringing up the document in some sort of controlled window. Note that it is NOT easy to do this in a child window and get the placement right.

I used to do something similar to this with a HELP document. You could click on a help button which would give you an index of topics you could select. The index was actually a combo box with the bookmark name as a hidden field. When you selected the thing you wanted to see, I just popped up the document as a full-screen in read-only mode but opening on the specific bookmarked page. Then you could use the features of WORD to navigate that area (mostly scrolling was all that was needed). But the WORD document just stayed intact due to being read-only.

The problem with putting it into a report will be that even with RTF formatting, Access won't do quite everything that Word would do so there WILL be some differences depending on what features you used. Not to mention that you bulk-up your database with something that is actually invariant and doesn't need tracking at that level of detail.

Take this as a suggestion for thought, not necessarily a suggestion for immediate implementation.

Gismo

Registered User.
Local time
Hi All,
I have made the change in my table from plain txt to RTF.
The data in the table seems to be correct.
But still the txt was cut off.
I removed unique value from the query and now the report seems to work just fine

thank you for the assistance

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom