New Social Media will determine Credit Score - Orwell Nightmare or Social Justice? (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 05:54
Is this just the evolution of Social Justice or some Orwell Nightmare?

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...-score-system-is-a-warning-for-americans.html

In China, every citizen is being assigned a credit score that drops if a person buys and plays video games, or posts political comments online “without prior permission," or even if social media "friends" do so. The ACLU said the credit rating system, an Orwellian nightmare.

A citizen’s credit score can be hurt by buying video games, posting political comments without obtaining prior permission, “talking about or describing a different history than the official one, or even publishing accurate up-to-date news from the Shanghai stock market collapse (which was and is embarrassing to the Chinese regime).” Pirate Party Founder Rick Falkvinge added:
But the kicker is that if any of your friends do this — publish opinions without prior permission, or report accurate but embarrassing news — your score will also deteriorate. And this will have a direct impact on your quality of life.

(end quotes) This is a MUST READ Article
The credit system is built in association with the Too-big-to-fail banks.
It is under way and mandatory to include all China Citizens by Jan 2020.

Western Countries may have this being put into place with little notice.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Galaxiom, I take it from the response that you are concerned about your future Credit Score due to your association to Rx_?
:D

Time for your interview in Room 101
-- Room 101 is a place introduced in the novel Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell. It is a torture chamber in the Ministry of Love in which the ...

Katiecat29

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:54
this definitely sounds like an Orwell nightmare to me. I can add it to my list of dystopian sc-fi esque changes to the world

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 07:54
Welp, considering that I'm a long-time videogamer and get involved in political discussions all the time, if I move to China my credit score will wind turning into some sort of gigantic virtual black hole.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Actually, involvement in political discussions for residents in that country might have a different outcome. This was released by several news sources 3 days ago:
China: When big data meets big brother
Companies are using online activity to determine credit ratings adding to fears about privacy
When browsing the internet in China, be sure to avoid logging on between 2am and 4am...
The lengthy article can be viewed here:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b5b13a5e-b847-11e5-b151-8e15c9a029fb.html#ixzz3y0iuDMQP

It describes how the new system will be used to rate "good citizens".
Just think, we DB developers can finally set a Sort Order on Good Citizens.
While it is only a Sort Order - it kind of represents the New Order?

Last edited:

karmaimages

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:54
Sounds like a total nightmare, especially if whoever you're friends with can effect your score!

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
At present, what governs your credit score? I genuinely don't know the specific criteria banks and the like use to decide whether people's numbers go up or down.

Is your credit score a government regulated thing, or is it down to the banks, etc. to decide it? If the latter, should the public really be able to dictate what banks do or don't take into account? If they're private businesses, isn't it up to them?

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
It's determined by the credit rating agencies, who use some hideously arcane formula based on income, how much stuff you own, total existing credit, total outstanding debts (both secured and unsecured), payment history, and a partridge in a pear tree.

I believe the agencies are still government-regulated, although I can't guarantee that.

Reactions: Rx_

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
It's determined by the credit rating agencies, who use some hideously arcane formula based on income, how much stuff you own, total existing credit, total outstanding debts (both secured and unsecured), payment history, and a partridge in a pear tree.

I believe the agencies are still government-regulated, although I can't guarantee that.
If NOT regulated, then I don't see how we can complain about what they base it on. I mean, short of "we won't give to credit because you're black/female/muslim" or some other illegal discrimination, if they wanted to base it on how many movies I've watched multiplied by the socks I own, surely it's ultimately up to them?

Reactions: Rx_

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yes, but who will guard the guards themselves?
http://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201212_cfpb_credit-reporting-white-paper.pdf
This is the Federal Reserve's concept for consumers.
Years ago, ... OK Decades ago in the 1970's
There was a series of books by Eden Press on The Paper Chase.
If memory serves (and it serves less every day) I met an author in California at the Fahrenheit 454 Book Store - they use to send copies from Canada to prevent government tracking.
One of the books cracked the credit formula. It was sold with other famous titles like "1000 ways to disappear and Live Free". The publication motto was "Be Official".
Concept, what you actually do doesn't matter, what is on paper and computer files is who you really are. The concept of your spiritual self, vs physical self, vs your image as a citizen.
I was helping a business set up a secured communication network and talked them into buying every Eden Press book and read them all.

Rule One in Credit Report - if there is anything negative, contest it.
Live Testimony trumps paper mistakes. Persistence overcomes fear of incompetent liability.
Let me suggest that you are programmers. Be Official, game the system within Being Official, and above all Have Fun playing the Game.

B.T.W. By associating with me alone, all of your credit scores dropped to zero. LOL

REF: Welcome to Farenheit 451 Books...your analog reading headquarters and the epicenter of anti-social media
Carlsbad, California

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, but who will guard the guards themselves?
http://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201212_cfpb_credit-reporting-white-paper.pdf
This is the Federal Reserve's concept for consumers.
Years ago, ... OK Decades ago in the 1970's
There was a series of books by Eden Press on The Paper Chase.
If memory serves (and it serves less every day) I met an author in California at the Fahrenheit 454 Book Store - they use to send copies from Canada to prevent government tracking.
One of the books cracked the credit formula. It was sold with other famous titles like "1000 ways to disappear and Live Free". The publication motto was "Be Official".
Concept, what you actually do doesn't matter, what is on paper and computer files is who you really are. The concept of your spiritual self, vs physical self, vs your image as a citizen.
I was helping a business set up a secured communication network and talked them into buying every Eden Press book and read them all.

Rule One in Credit Report - if there is anything negative, contest it.
Live Testimony trumps paper mistakes. Persistence overcomes fear of incompetent liability.
Let me suggest that you are programmers. Be Official, game the system within Being Official, and above all Have Fun playing the Game.

B.T.W. By associating with me alone, all of your credit scores dropped to zero. LOL

REF: Welcome to Farenheit 451 Books...your analog reading headquarters and the epicenter of anti-social media
Carlsbad, California
I would like to say I disagree vehemently with everything this man said.
(just hedging my bets, in case anyone 'important' is reading this)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:54
There is such a thing as the Fair Credit Reporting Act that delineates your rights to review and appeal credit ratings, but past a certain point it becomes a byzantine process that is (only slightly) less complicated than doing brain surgery on yourself with mirrors - while riding a unicycle on a bumpy road in dust-storm conditions.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Good Hedge Alc! And Thanks for giving me any chance of credibility at all to be worthy of anyone remotely important considering my association worthy for anyone to hedge against. LOL

Was walking by the downtown college campus the other day.
A student came up and handed me a flyer that said:
"By the time you finish reading this flyer, ten people will die of..."
Well, I stopped reading right then.
I didn't want to be responsible for ten people dying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom