What can't you stop yourself doing? (1 Viewer)

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:06
In an attempt to start a thread not about guns, religion or politics, I'm curious what people find themselves repeatedly thinking/doing in spite of knowing it does no good or may even make things worse.

For example, thanks to Mr Spielberg, part of my brain contains the sneaking suspicion that all water deeper than 20ft is full of sharks. This includes lakes and rivers, but is especially true of the ocean. I KNOW they're not there, but even so....

My wife insists on repeatedly clicking on a website's button, if nothing happens. She knows the 7th click will have the same lack of results as the 6th, but even so....

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:06
My own personal downfall is anything sweet. I have to work at filling up with non-dessert stuff so that I have no room for my bête-noir.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 07:06
When I was younger, I couldn't stop spending the majority of my money on women and wine. The rest of the money, I totally wasted.

My addiction is financial and political news that helps me make investments. Early morning Bloomberg Europe is something exciting to start the day. I consume around 300 pages of subscription investment media a month. In addition, there is about 15 hours of investment audio a month usually during my jogs in the park.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
My addiction is financial and political news that helps me make investments. Early morning Bloomberg Europe is something exciting to start the day. I consume around 300 pages of subscription investment media a month. In addition, there is about 15 hours of investment audio a month usually during my jogs in the park.
That's, arguably, a good thing, though?

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Still, what can't you stop yourself doing? - can't stop even on vacations.
Leaving work now to talk to the banker about 2nd mortgage on home to put additional into my company's self directed IRA, to reduce my tax by 56% of the loan amount. It's Friday, other people are going to the ball game, out for drinks, or to socialize.
B.T.W. - spending most of my money on women and wine was a good thing too! LOL

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 14:06
Coming on this forum and arguing with Blade, that must be the biggest waste of time in my 74 years.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
ALC mentioned his wife in his op , if we include observations of others then people who insist on pressing a button already pressed, eg pedestrian controlled lights, lifts (elevators?), why do they think it will make things happen more quickly?

Brian

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I'm not quite that compulsive. Did you catch the news on Kinder Morgan (KMI)? Though the stock price has been declining, the bubble finally burst this past week. This stock had been described by many stock analysts as a "can't lose" investment.

Seeking Alpha article by David Stockman: Kinder Morgan- Poster Boy For Bubble Finance.
(If you don't have a membership with Seeking Alpha, I don't know whether you can or can't access the article.)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
ALC mentioned his wife in his op , if we include observations of others then people who insist on pressing a button already pressed, eg pedestrian controlled lights, lifts (elevators?), why do they think it will make things happen more quickly?

Brian

I don't think the buttons do anything. They are just there to reassure users. A bit like the sound of "counting money" in a cashpoint machine, it's just a noise to reassure the user because that's what they expect.

Col

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
When I was younger, I couldn't stop spending the majority of my money on women and wine. The rest of the money, I totally wasted.
Perhaps some spirits would have been a better way:).

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Ohhhh, chocolate - so wonderful it is highly taxed. Perhaps it is a Sin Tax?
Truly, one of those taxes because people can't stop doing. Example:

Louis XIV, the Sun King, issues an edict levying taxes on chocolate.
At the end of the 17th century, chocolate makes a very welcome entry to Germany. But with his policy of restricted imports, Frederic 1st of Prussia slaps a tax on chocolate.

King George I raises taxes on chocolate sales and consumption.
(might have been the real reason for the American Revolution?)

In 1847, J.S. Fry in Bristol made the first Chocolate bar. Britain lowered taxes on Chocolate in the mid-1850s to help manufacturers popularize it.
Was this tax as an export weapon?

Norway's finance minister showed a sweeter side on Thursday by penning a poem to calm chocolate factory workers' protests against high taxes. In a novel form of fiscal argument, Per-Kristian Foss presented a debut poem on the government's website .... In the poem, in Norwegian, Foss laments his duty to balance the budget but gives no hope of lower taxes on chocolate and candy production. He concludes: "Live sweet in the hope of a fee-less fest/ Tax-free chocolate probably tastes the best." Everyone from producers to sweet-toothed children complain that Norwegian candy prices are higher than elsewhere in Europe.
Yet... they can't stop themselves.

The tax on Chocolate continues to grow. For example in the USA - Milky Way bars, which contain flour, are tax-exempt, while Milky Way Midnight (dark chocolate) bars are taxed because they do not contain flour.
But of course! Flour is food. Pure Chocolate is just decadency.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
I don't think the buttons do anything. They are just there to reassure users. A bit like the sound of "counting money" in a cashpoint machine, it's just a noise to reassure the user because that's what they expect.

Col
I believed that about elevator/lift buttons for years. Why add something that decreases safety, allowing someone to close the doors on someone else? Just to prove my point to someone I stood in the doors and got a colleague to press the button as soon as we entered (we knew the usual delay was a fair while longer). I'm sure you can see where this is going.....:eek:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Repeatedly pressing the elevator button because, you know, it makes the elevator come to my floor faster. :D

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Repeatedly pressing the elevator button because, you know, it makes the elevator come to my floor faster. :D
Do you also press it straight after someone else, in case they didn't do it properly ?:D

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Do you also press it straight after someone else, in case they didn't do it properly ?:D

Of course! It knows when it's ME who presses it. :D

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:06
Another "can't stop..." When my computer gives me a result other than what I wanted, I am known to threaten an inanimate object. The ONLY thing that saves its sorry butt is the price tag of getting my satisfaction from it.

Katiecat29

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:06
I can't stop eating chocolate brownies, I've been having one a day since Christmas lol
Maybe in February I'll go on that diet I keep reading about lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom