What the employers will think? (1 Viewer)

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:48
If I put the following comment on the personal section of my resume?

About Me:
I don't believe in social status.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 14:18
You should probably post this question in a forum more knowledgable of Indian culture than this one.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 12:18
I think you need to be honest with yourself about about what really matters to you. For instance, maybe you have unpopular opinions but you feel strongly that you should express them. Or maybe you have unpopular opinions but you prefer to keep them to yourself. Each of these will generate different feelings in those around you, and different feeling inside yourself.

How you present yourself will determine what groups will accept you. So what group do you want to be a member of? What are the norms for acceptance in that group? Or maybe there is a belief in the world that you want to change, and then there is a price you will pay for being a shit-disturber, who's goal it is to make people uncomfortable so they will possibly change their beliefs. Each road has costs and payoffs, so the bigger question is who do you want to be?

Where you choose to stand has serious consequences. As plog notes, the nuances of this choice are dependent on the values of the groups in your world, but generally, I think, the journey is yours. Choose the path that you see fit, and that you would answer for with a clear conscience, and in that case, each day will contain the greatest pleasure for you and those around you.

All the best,

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You are stating a negative here, but there might be a more positive way to state it.

For example: "I believe in associating with others whose different levels of expertise than mine will instruct and inspire me" - and the unsaid implication adds "regardless of social status differences."

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:48
Even this won't work?

About Me:
I believe in myself = passion & performance
but
I don't believe in social status = politics & power

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:18
If the question is "about me", why do you interpret or emphasize that to mean " I believe in ..."
As Docman said (slighlty modified)---- I like to associate with others whose knowledge and levels of expertise are different than mine, but often instruct and inspire me.

implication: you can learn something from anyone, if you listen long enough.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 19:18
excellent advice from Thedocman and Jdaw. It always is better to be positive rather than negative in a resume

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
prabha_friend, the issue is that saying "I don't believe in social status" carries baggage - more precisely, implications and connotations - that suggest that you are already pre-judging that your audience DOES believe in social status in a negative way. I.e. you are implying that the employer's venue is overly involved with status issues over performance. This might be taken by an employer as a slap in the face even before you walk in the door, particularly if your resume' arrives before you do.

In essence, it is never good to burn bridges, but the ONLY time that it ever makes sense is to burn them when leaving, not when entering - because then YOU get burned, too. Not to mention the odds of getting splinters in your nose when the door is slammed in your face.

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:18
Be aware that there are significant cultural differences between the various contributors to this thread. One model of measuring cultural difference (between countries) comes from Geert Hofstede.

Take a look at the POWER DISTANCE dimension and the dialogue for the UK:
https://geert-hofstede.com/united-kingdom.html In the context of your question, if I were to start making comments on my CV about my view of social status, I think for most jobs the prospective employer would think I was a little weird.

Compare with India:
https://geert-hofstede.com/india.html So maybe discussing and promoting social status is much more likely in India.

As an aside, it's quite interesting to look at the other dimensions. UK and India are quite difference on several. You can do a side by side comparison.

Note this is a subjective model. Interesting nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom