The CD soon to Disapear into Oblivion (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 09:32
Best Buy will stop selling CDs as digital music revenue continues to grow

I stopped using CDs years ago. Now, the only thing that I have used a CD for is to make a "live" disk for Ubuntu. Many years ago, I bought one of those CD mega packs. At the rate of about one CD per year, I probably have at least a 75 year supply. Actually, that will soon change (to zero) since I will be setting-up a bootable "live" USB flash drive for Ubuntu with the next release.

I guess the proverbial CD has now gone the way of the "a" drive.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 14:32
TBH if it is going to cost me the same or nearly the same to get 8 tracks of mp3 or 8 tracks on a CD, I'll buy the CD and rip them myself.

I still have all my 500+ CDs, though they are all ripped and stored on a NAS box for distribution around the house and garage.

I ripped most of mine when I was on dialup and out of work. A long process. :)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I feel sorry for people with a VHS video collection ....

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well I do not have a collection, but still have a few knocking around with a player somewhere.

Perhaps you meant Betamax ? :D

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:32
As long as I can still make selective backups with them, I'll use them.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:32
The makers of these devices that run CD's will stop producing them. Already its tough to buy laptops with a player. Next will be the USB devices.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
What ever happened to the Midi Disc, seems to have came and went in the blink of an eye...

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
My Uncle had a Laser Disc player, remember them, they played 12inch Vinyl sized Laser Discs, they quickly went the way of the DoDo too...

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I used to fix Laser Disc players.
Somewhere I think i have a Car Radio/Mini-Disk unit. Must be worth a mint.

Still have and occasionally buy both CD's and Vinyl LP's :)

Just need to fix my turntable (Linn LP12) as the PSU board has gone west, and it needs a minimum of about £1000 spending on it :eek:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
What ever happened to the Midi Disc, seems to have came and went in the blink of an eye...

Sony tried to bring out an ElCassette that was slightly larger than a normal cassette and ran at a different speed for better quality.

Barely got off the ground. ;)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I can still play my 78's on our gramophone.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:32
My abacus is doing fine, considering that it has room enough for my bank account. Darn the bad luck that my account is that small...

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:32
I still have CD's (mostly just to play in the car on long trips) and VHS tapes (a few hard to find titles). My son-in-law and his parents have a entire (long) hallway with shelves full of DVD's and VHS tapes. I can only speculate that they have a few thousand titles.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I just seem to have a "rant" head on at the moment... Now at my age a rant is what anyone else would call a mild irritation.... I used to get annoyed with Microsoft because you would just get used to something and then they change it. It was particularly annoying because my mother, (in her 80's), mother would find a change so confusing. It would take me ages to get her to work out how to do something new.

Then Google came along and I thought wow! These people look after their customers! But no! It didn't take long, a few years and they started doing exactly the same as Microsoft, keep moving the Goalposts changing things, dropping things that I use and like... (If you haven't noticed this is the Rant part)

Anyway seeing the Demise of old technology, physical products, I suddenly realised it's something I should expect. You just wouldn't expect people to maintain and support an old product. Imagine somebody driving around now in a Morris 1000 and expecting it to be maintained and updated regularly by the manufacturer, it's just ludicrous. So once you think about things from that perspective then these changes they keep making to the bloody software aren't so bad.

Mind you I think there is a good case for them to have two levels of interaction with the software. A basic level of interaction, and access to advanced functionality through some selection process. I'm absolutely convinced that this is the way future software should be, and I hope will be! You have an iteration of it; a version of it; something, anything, that a normal person can use easily. A bit like one of those cheap flip phones which are just a phone without all the bells and whistles.

Talking about "bells and whistles" - does that expression come from the first railway trains?

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
No one knows. It has made appearances at least as far back as the 1700's.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I'm a nostalgic pack rat when it comes to technological products. I have a hard time letting things go. I own my original NES, SNES, Sega Master System, Genesis, Game Gear, Virtual Boy (migraine anyone?), Com64, and Playstation 1 and 2. I keep so many spare parts that I have a hard time parting with because you know, you just might need it one day!

Does anyone else have a crate/box of cables in their closet? :D

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I have a Sinclair Spectrum 48k somewhere along with my cassette copy of Elite , still intact with the keyboard map, and "LensLock" security gizmo :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom