Guidance Required - How to do? (1 Viewer)

Fareed

Local time
Tomorrow, 02:59
Hello Guys!

I want to make a "Log book" say for a Railway, Transport company, airline etc

Now I want to maintain a complete record of their move, maintenance, drivers scheduling and even of those transport of other companies which are arriving at my bus station or you say air planes on my air port.

Now which type of data I want to keep for a record.

Airplane A
Move From Airport#1 to Airport#2 Time Start 0500 Arrival Time-------

--->Now another Move entry comes in
Airplane B
Move From Airport#3 to Airport#4 Time Start 0600 Arrival Time-------

--->Now Maintenance entry comes in
Airplane C
Airplane C UnServiceable Time Start 0700 Serviceable Time-------
Reason:_________

Say after 20 entries Airplane B reaches its destination at 1100 hrs

Airplane C becomes serviceable at 1300 hrs
and its Journey starts at 1330 hrs Arrival Time -------
and after 25 different entries Airplane A also reaches its destination at 1400 hrs. and becomes unavailable start time 1430 due to weather, available Time ---------- will be written when when it will get available for flying.

Question:

1. How should I update record of move, unserviceability or non availability of air planes as there are many entries in between them. There may be other entries of same airplane in between its move, maintenance etc.

I want to keep every thing logged so that I can get consolidated report of all under different headings, Individual airplane consolidated report and under different headings etc in between two dates, from specific time and date etc

Looking forward for help and suggestions

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:59
What have you tried? Why do you want to do this?
Have you tried to start with a Purpose of your project?
Then expand on the purpose until you have a number of logical facts that your "business" should do. Identify the things involved and what factors relate them one to another.
Don't be too quick to jump into physical database until you understand your requirement.
What facts would you need if someone asked you or commissioned you to build such a database?

Good luck with your project.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 18:59
In addition to want JDraw has asked you, there are a few templates out there that will give you about a 90% solution to your requirement, for example:

https://access-templates.com/access...ystem+software+in+ms+access+database-622.html

Once you have played with that, you will be able to ask more specifics questions and get better answers. As it stands now, you questions will lead to more questions from this forum and decrease your chances of getting the answers you want.

Good luck and if you get stuck, you can always come back here!

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 15:59
I think you should avoid thinking of a trip from origin to destination as one thing. Instead, think of arrival and departure events as distinct things, and think of a trip as having one or more arrival/departure events.

When a plane lands record an arrival event, a new row in the table. That event will have a date/time, a link to a location, a link to an aircraft, and IsArrival = True. Then, when the plane takes off, record a new departure event, another new row in the table. That event will have a date/time, a link to a location, a link to an aircraft, and IsArrival = False.

The raw data--the facts that exist in time and space, and the facts that are connected to other facts--are the arrivals and departures.

hth
Mark

Fareed

Local time
What have you tried? Why do you want to do this?
Have you tried to start with a Purpose of your project?
Then expand on the purpose until you have a number of logical facts that your "business" should do. Identify the things involved and what factors relate them one to another.
Don't be too quick to jump into physical database until you understand your requirement.
What facts would you need if someone asked you or commissioned you to build such a database?

Good luck with your project.

It is self motivated project to ease up the things. I am working on a fleet of almost more than 100 vehicles yard and I am using paper register innoting down.

I made a table but dont know how to update arrival time as Im purely novice to ms access.
Thanks for your guidance. I have already sorted out as working on it as first module

Last edited:

Fareed

Local time
I think you should avoid thinking of a trip from origin to destination as one thing. Instead, think of arrival and departure events as distinct things, and think of a trip as having one or more arrival/departure events.

When a plane lands record an arrival event, a new row in the table. That event will have a date/time, a link to a location, a link to an aircraft, and IsArrival = True. Then, when the plane takes off, record a new departure event, another new row in the table. That event will have a date/time, a link to a location, a link to an aircraft, and IsArrival = False.

The raw data--the facts that exist in time and space, and the facts that are connected to other facts--are the arrivals and departures.

hth
Mark
Thanks a lot Mark.....I will do it as per guidance and will inform the results.

Fareed

Local time
In addition to want JDraw has asked you, there are a few templates out there that will give you about a 90% solution to your requirement, for example:

Once you have played with that, you will be able to ask more specifics questions and get better answers. As it stands now, you questions will lead to more questions from this forum and decrease your chances of getting the answers you want.

Good luck and if you get stuck, you can always come back here!

Thats a great idea, I will inform you as I will move forward

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom