Censorship by Access-Programmers Forum (1 Viewer)

nfk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:13
Get tough...

There is no freedom of speech in this forum... Its yet another communist dictatorship.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:13
But then, you so OBVIOUSLY do not understand freedom of speech.

FIRST, that phrase generally is used in the context you have stated to regarding some government action to curtail free expression of ideas. But this isn't a government forum, it is a privately owned forum hosted by Jon and run for the express purpose of offering help to others.

SECOND, though the UK certainly is a country with many rights, remember that this forum is UK, not USA, and therefore the common phrase "freedom of speech" is an ocean away.

THIRD, when you bitch and moan and groan like this, it is very hard to take you seriously. You are acting like a troll. And I know just the bridge for you. It is in south Louisiana and is called "the bridge to nowhere." It was built as a boondoggle, a pork-barrel project to build a bridge to cross the Mississippi river at a place where such a crossing wasn't needed. It's a perfect home for a dour old troll like you. Of course you know that old phrase from the movie Field of Dreams "If you build it, they will come." This bridge is the exception that proves the rule. Low mileage, not that much traffic, and the only thing it has going for it is that the nearby kids are well-educated enough that their graffiti is spelled correctly.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 15:13
I could have sworn the Bridge to Nowhere is in Alaska.

Man that thing moves around.

Also, Doc has a point. This is a board hosted in the UK, and in both the UK and the US, the concept of freedom of speech, while handled subtly differently in each country, only applies to freedom from government suppression of speech. Private entities can suppress any speech they feel like, and your options are to either suck it up and live with it or do your speech elsewhere. Or, I suppose you could try to start an online shaming campaign - they sometimes work, but I think you'll find support hard to come by in this case.

In fact, the mods here have been damned tolerant of you. In most discussion boards I've seen, your unrelenting hostility to the subject matter and unrestrained offensiveness (and tendency to be the OPPOSITE of helpful on a help site) would have gotten you permanently banned a long time ago.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
As others have states, this is a private board. The government is not suppressing your freedom of speech. Your rights are not being violated. If you don't like it, kindly see yourself out. If you can't find your way, we'll be glad to help.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
And...it is a common misconception that freedom of speech also means freedom of reprisals. You can’t have it both ways buttercup.

Truth be told, it there were a better RAD tool than Access, I would be the first to consider it and even jump ship if it were true. You have been asked numerous times to provide the answer and have failed to do so. The few feeble attempts you made were quickly and adequately refuted and your only reply was more childish rants.

I do hope that you are simply winding us up or taking the piss as the Brits like to say. If you were really this pathetic it would be a sad thing.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Holy shit, did I just agree with Doc, Vassago, AND NauticalGent on something?

*faints*

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Truth be told, it there were a better RAD tool than Access, I would be the first to consider it and even jump ship if it were true.

There is. Have you ever checked out Clarion?

Fantastic development environment. Biggest down side is that most programmers who use it decide to leave their current employer and set up shop doing custom software.

For myself, it was a very addictive line of work. Course after I realized that I could get paid about as well have have more time at home being ACTIVE MILITARY... well...

Reason most businesses don't go that route is because of how many people already can use ACCESS and it ships with OFFICE. Why spend thousands if it doesn't give you capabilities you need that ACCESS doesn't offer?

Course nfk is posting about something less user friendly than ACCESS and getting upset when people who understand programming better ignore his comments....

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Hell, people who understand business better, too.

For my company to switch even just from Access to C# or some other commonly used language for the front ends would require tens of thousands of man-hours for no real ROI, as well as making life much, much more difficult for the people who make up dinky little Access databases for team or even personal use to make their jobs easier.

Hell, my new manager (boss's boss) keeps suggesting we might want to rework all our apps in ColdFusion, but he's in for a rude shock if he ever asks for a development time projection. (Think multiple man-years, and this is for one single 100 person department in a 6000 person company.)

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Oh, there have been a couple areas where you and I had SERIOUS differences of opinion (recall, if you will, a discussion between Alc and I on one side and you on the other regarding the appropriateness of a white supremacist website as a source over in the Atheism thread), but I was more pointing out the range of opinions encompassed by the four of us, especially considering how far apart Doc and I are on any political or moral spectrum.

Mark_

Local time
For my company to switch even just from Access to C# or some other commonly used language for the front ends would require tens of thousands of man-hours for no real ROI, as well as making life much, much more difficult for the people who make up dinky little Access databases for team or even personal use to make their jobs easier.

That is kinda why I point out Clarion. For most development languages, you can include your source code into a Clarion program without having to redo your work. Oddly even if you don't use Clarion for your development environment their compilers are top notch and will often get your program running faster than the native compiler it shipped with.

Even a lover of .NET would see an improvement compiling their code with a better compiler. Clarion just happens to be the inheritors of the fantastic team that Borland used to have for their compilers, back when Borland was the king of C!

Vassago

Local time
Oh, there have been a couple areas where you and I had SERIOUS differences of opinion (recall, if you will, a discussion between Alc and I on one side and you on the other regarding the appropriateness of a white supremacist website as a source over in the Atheism thread), but I was more pointing out the range of opinions encompassed by the four of us, especially considering how far apart Doc and I are on any political or moral spectrum.

I don't recall that, my memory over forum content is pretty low. I don't typically take most of the threads in the cooler seriously enough to keep it on my mind. :D

I don't think our opinions are very different, actually, politically or otherwise.

Who is "The other?"

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
As in 'the other side'

Alc and I on one side of the discussion and you on the other side of the discussion.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:13
Mark_ said:
Clarion just happens to be the inheritors of the fantastic team that Borland used to have for their compilers

Actually, I loved Borland products for DOS. Turbo Pascal was incredibly good. I never liked C or its variants because I knew its origins and, at least back then, it was possible to write absolute abominations in C because of almost non-existent type-checking. When Paradox switched from DOS to Windows environments, they screwed the pooch, at least IMHO. Or NOT So Humble, as the case may be.

Frothy, you and I approach things from different directions but you have a good head on your shoulders. You just lose your cool with me sometimes. I respect your opinions even when we disagree on a particular political or social viewpoint. In fact (hold on to your seat), your opinions DO sometimes make me stop and think before I just plow into the melee. Oh, I'll still jump in feet first, but now and then I see that you have had a moment of clarity.

Don't want to get all maudlin about it, though.

Vassago

Local time
As in 'the other side'

Alc and I on one side of the discussion and you on the other side of the discussion.

So I had to go back and look. All I see is me stating that a civil discussion is needed when personal attacks were used and MANY posts were deleted. Looking back at those posts, I know why I deleted them. It wasn't just your posts that were removed.

I wasn't on any side. I certainly would never condone any white supremacist geared articles. I was only keeping the insults between both sides off of the thread by removing them and stating my comment.

Holding onto something like that for 3 years? :eek: It's no wonder I forgot about it. You must have some seriously impressive memory. I'm surprised I can remember to take a breath most days. :D

Mark_

Local time
Vassago,

Are you blonde roots showing???

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
There is. Have you ever checked out Clarion?

Fantastic development environment. Biggest down side is that most programmers who use it decide to leave their current employer and set up shop doing custom software.

Reason most businesses don't go that route is because of how many people already can use ACCESS and it ships with OFFICE. Why spend thousands if it doesn't give you capabilities you need that ACCESS doesn't offer?

No, can’t say that I have but I will set an appointment with Dr Google in the morning...

And you touched on the 2nd part of my situation: M$ Office already resides on every computer I touch at work and it would take an act of God to get another COTS sofetware installed for a few reasons, first and foremost the fact that it is already bought and paid for.

Thanks for the homework assignment!

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Actually, Vassago, I do have a really impressive memory, and often for the weirdest shit. I don't actually CARE about that particular disagreement any more (although I was furious at the time), but I still remember it.

Hell, I still remember playing with my mother, and she died 45 years ago when I was 2.

I don't, however, remember a neighbor's dog trying to eat me when I was 5 - just the recovery afterward.

Also the most boring few days of my life - sitting in a hospital at 4 for three days recovering from meningitis and a 7-day fever of 106.

No, I DON'T know how I'm still here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom