Help with Keys and relationships Please (1 Viewer)

nabowron

Local time
Today, 07:39
Hi I'm a Hospital Doctor trying to complete a database for an audit .

My Problem is the organisation of the tables for the database.

My Audit is on Thromboprophylaxis. Basically im checking to make sure that all patients are appropriately presribed some enoxaparin (heparin) to ensure they dont get DVT's whilst in hospital

When patients are admitted to hospital they are supposed to be risk assessed to see if they require this heparin or not.

So over a certain period (of say a few days) me and a few colleagues will go around and look at a sample of patients, check their drug charts and notes to ensure that certain items are filled out.

We will then complete another audit cycle and re-audit another similar sample in a couple of months or so and see if there has been any improvement.

If we happen to reaudit the same patient (if they have been re-admitted again or are still inpatients) then we look at the previous audit entry for that patient and see if the risk assessments etc match up and that one doctor has not missed anything.

On each admission a patient may or may not be risk assessed on admission, may or may not have a front area of their dru chart filled in, may or may not be prescribed enoxaparin, may or may not be prescribed graduated compression stockings (teds), and may or may not be on an alternative anticoagulant.
If they are over 70 no other risk factors needs to filled in. Their risk factors may also change with time.

Now to the problems:-
For confidentiality reasons we only take down the patients hospital number and age (not their DOB).

Each audit will be a snapshot of an individual patient at that moment in time:-
Each audit has multiple patient instances.
One patient can possibly be audited many times but not within the same audit period/cycle.

Their age may change (and therefore meet a risk factor criteria) between audit cycles.

Each audit instance should allow the user to enter the risk factors afresh so that a comparison can be made to previous entries. (So that if a doctor or auditor misses a risk factor this could be picked up on)

I'm not sure if i should just combine the patient, front box, Risk Factors, enoxaparin and teds tables together as I think they could end up being one to one relationships?
Ive also played around with the primary keys and relationships and im now completely lost.

Any help with my table structures would be very much appreciated and could help out with patient care in the long run!

Many Thanks :)

nabowron

Attachments

• tables.JPG
    tables.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 141

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:39
Starting point would be to determine which table is the 1 (as in the 1 to many) and then create the relationsips between that and the other tables.

It looks like 1 hospital number in Patients can be linked to many hospital numbers in the other tables

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom