Running out of Memory Errors .... (1 Viewer)

HealthyB1

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:46
G'day,
I recently replaced my old DELL pc with a new one with 16gb of Memory and 512Gb of Solid state drive. I have effectively doubled the capacity of the old PC in both memory size and SSD storage. I am running Office 365 / 64 bit and Access 2016.

Error seems to occur when editing or modifying forms in Access. Particularly when working in the forms Property sheet and trying to modify the data source for the form or the data source for a control such as a combo box on the form. I keep getting the attached memory error.

I have checked free memory and it doesn't seem to be a problem as I am really only running the Access application. Has anyone else experienced same and if so what was the fix as closing and restarting the program has limited impact if any on the problem. :banghead:

Attachments

• Memory-Error.JPG
    Memory-Error.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 152

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:16
Hi

When you are working in Form Design View it is recommended that you save after every change made to the design.

Were you doing this??

If not then you will run into problems.

HealthyB1

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Mike,
Yes pretty much as if I normally modify something, I then save it and then test same rather than do multiple changes at the same time. Upon checking it would appear that I am getting the problem less often if the data source is simply a table, but errors occur more frequently when accessing a query or modifying a query used as a data source for a control on the form.
Cheers

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:16
maybe the memory is not compatible with your laptop.
have you check your computer how many is installed (on property after righ-click myComputer)?

about memory, if it says you have dual-core, actually you have 4, the two are hidden.
in case any of the 2 core fail, the hidden one will take-over.
you can activate the other 2 by running msconfig.exe.
on boot tab, number of processor (the number of what say you have x 2).

HealthyB1

Registered User.
Local time
Hi there,
Not sure how to find myComputer on Windows 10? (Ex windows 7 person)
Memory should be ok its a 6 core intel factory supplied Dell XPS 15. So memory and SSD were installed by DELL.
I have attached a snapshot of my processes if it will help

Attachments

• Task Mgr.jpg
    Task Mgr.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 126

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 19:16
My computer is now This PC on Win10

You can see it in windows explorer

HealthyB1

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the info on how to get to MyComputer.
Here is the CPU count

Attachments

• CPUs.jpg
    CPUs.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 143

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:16
On Task Manager, find the Performance page.

You'll see the graphs for CPU usage. Ignore them because odds are that you aren't even saturating 1 of your 12 possible active threads. Due to "round robin scheduling" none of them will be flat-line, but none of them should be very high either. The tasks you showed us are all things that sit as services in voluntary hibernating states (waiting for external tasks to use the related services and awaken them) except for Access, which is in a voluntary I/O wait state. Your system was running at 4% CPU when you took the snapshot of Task Manager.

What is far more important is the statistics that are usually at the bottom of the performance page, which shows things like free pages and committed pages and stuff like that. Free physical memory is one of those stats. According to the Task Manager page you showed us, you are using 42% of physical memory. (It's in the "memory" column header.) One factor that might be relevant how much page/swap space you have available. Windows calls this your virtual memory space.

There is a strange quirk of Windows that even if you have enough physical memory to fit everything into your machine completely, you have to be able to allocate space in the page file to launch the task. If you try to expand the virtual size of your program (actually, Access would be doing this behind the scenes with Windows API calls) and if you don't have enough free space in your working swap file, you might be unable to change sizes. You might see that message if you reach that condition.

You need to determine if your swap file is on the SSD and if so, how much larger you can make it. I've not tried this on Win10 and don't have an SSD either. Some of the controls for this are on Control Panel >> System >> Advanced where you can set limits on the size of the virtual memory size. You might also want to consider whether you can move the virtual space to the hard drive even though it is slower than the SSD. If your SSD is crowded, that might be necessary. Otherwise, allow your virtual memory to get larger via the control panel options.

HealthyB1

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Doc,

Here is some of the info you asked for. I increased the virtual memory size, then rebooted. I opened the form in Design mode and still received the previous error.
:banghead:

Do you have any other suggestions please?

Attachments

• Task Mgr Performance.JPG
    Task Mgr Performance.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 114
  • PAging.jpg
    PAging.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 116
  • Virtual Memory.jpg
    Virtual Memory.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Virtual 2.jpg
    Virtual 2.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 133

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 20:16
Is the problem only on the new computer?
Have you tried other databases, does the error also occur then?

HealthyB1

Registered User.
Local time
I'll try same tomorrow and get back to you. Excellent suggestion! :)
Regards

HealthyB1

Registered User.
Local time
Hi All,
I did some experimenting and the program runs and works on two PC running Windows 10, Office 365. BUT I get the same Memory error when modifying a forms data source which is a query.
I then loaded the program on two older Windows 7, Office 2010 PCs and the program works and the form editing works perfectly without memory errors.
Looking on the web apparently a lot of other folks have the same problem with Windows 365 / Access 2016 and running out of memory.
I could do development on the older PC's but the issue is that they are both greater than 10 years old so will probably die in the not to distant future. So I really need to get this problem resolved on the new Windows 10 / Office 365 PCs.
Any other thoughts or suggestions?

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
What if you open the query without open the form?
Is that the only form that have the problem?

HealthyB1

Registered User.
Local time
Hi JHB,
Sorry for the delay. I have definitely established that the fault DOES NOT occur on 3 different PC's running Win 7 and Office 2010.
However on the Dell laptop it fails when you go and edit a form where you try to modify the query for the data source for the form. I also decided to make the query stand alone rather than modifying it in the form as per your suggestion.
If I open the new query by itself to edit it and without opening the form that references it, after about 20-30 secs I get the same Memory error. I can also get other queries to experience the same problem when I go to edit them.
Note this same problem also occurs on another Lenovo PC running Win 10 Office 365. So I am thinking that this is perhaps a Win10 / Office 365 problem:banghead:

Last edited:

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
I'll not say that it isn't a Win10 / Office 365 problem, but I lean more to the assumption that something in your database is corrupt or maybe something in your data is wrong.
Is the query based direct to one single table or is it a lot of queries and tables?

HealthyB1

Registered User.
Local time
I seemed to have found the problem.
Quite often on a form I would use a pre-existing query [qryEmpTimesheets] to select say an Employee and their weekly timesheets from two separate tables [tblEmps] & [tblTimesheets]. This query may be used for several reports and forms depending what data I wanted to display or report.
On the actual form I would use the data source as say [qryEmpTimesheets] but modify same to select records for a particular employee or for a range of dates. It is when I go to modify the data query whilst in the form that I am getting the memory errors. If I create a seperate stand alone query based on [qryEmpTimesheets] and add some filters and make it a new query called say [qryEmpTimesheetsIndividual] or another query say [qryEmpTimesheetsDateRange] and make this the data source for the form then there are no problems what so ever.
Office 365 seems to dislike modifying a form data source based on an existing query based data source within a form.
I have no problems what so ever if I do this in Office 2010. Perhaps it is purely my problem and I was using bad coding practice. But having to do it the new way means that I now have to have a myriad of separate queries whereas before I had a standard query and modified it on each form as I needed it changed to meet that forms needs.
Any thoughts or similar experiences from other users using Office 365??

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:16
I took a look at the stats you provided. Win10's information is different than Win7's stats in some ways. However, with what you showed us, you are not running into a system memory or virtual memory error. HOWEVER, I took a closer look at the error message. It specifically notes that you don't have enough memory to update the display. This is too specific a statement to ignore and is radically different (conceptually) to most of the memory errors I have seen before.

Your workaround is available and if you want to stand down from this to move on to other speed-bumps, I can't fault you. However, I think you need to see if you have tuning tools available for the two graphics processor unit and if so, see how they are set up. I would have looked first at system resources anyway, but that error and the fact that you have two GPUs makes me wonder if you need to set aside some extra memory for graphics caches. PC graphics cards often use physical buffers in memory to allow for "diddling" images that then get fed to the display through a Direct Memory Access channel. Not all GPUs have set-aside memory onboard for buffering. Without knowing exactly what your GPUs are doing, I can't advise specifically. However, I think it would be good to check your GPU vendor's graphics tuning tools to see if you need to divert a bit more of that huge amount of RAM towards those devices.

HealthyB1

Registered User.
Local time
Problem Solved!:)
Whilst talking to a mate I asked him if I could try running my program and edit forms and the attendant data source queries for the forms on his WIN 10 - Office 2010 system. Low and behold the problem disappeared with no memory errors. My system is WIN 10 - Office 365. The other systems I was testing the problem on were WIN 7 - Office 2010 systems
So I then loaded office 2010 on my WIN 10 system and hey presto the memory problem have gone away. I left Office 365 installed as well and as soon as I run Access under Office 365 on the system the problems occur.

Running ACCESS under Office 2010 the problems have gone!

So my problem is solved and we can close this. A special thanks to every one who provided feedback.
One final question is there a means of communicating this issue to the Office 365 developers? If so how do I submit same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom