Access Industrial Completions Tracking Database (1 Viewer)

richard bro-42

Local time
Today, 11:35
Hello out there in cyber world to all access programmers and wizards. I am not exactly new to access. I have created several tracking databases. The Industrial Completions is by far the most complex.
I am self taught and still deep into the learning curve. I am an Electrical Engineer, changed over in the Oil & Gas industry to Commissioning and Handover to Startup.So I developed a tracking database to confirm all testing prior to hand over. The people I work with will never see the inter works of my Database they only want to see "Progress Reports".
So in 2005 I accepted an opportunity to manage the Commissioning on a $4.2B offshore Production Platform that was to be located in Angola, W. Africa. A 5 year assignment. The database I had built worked really well but I had to bring in an experienced programmer as I could not tend to the database plus address the issues of keeping approximately 40 commissioning techs on track. I had forgotten how much I didn't know.
I now want to get my Database back in operation. It has gotten corrupt from being relocated onto the company server then back to my personal PC. I think it best to build from scratch. I know I will need advice often.
Thanks to all for any help when I ask.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 14:35
anyone working in I.T. you would know to restore the corrupted db from a backup.
a corporation would do this.
if you can restore what you can from that, then rebuild from scratch.
backups should be done daily. (some hourly)

Reactions: Rx_

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:35
That kind of program/database and the logic involved and with the scope you mention would have required some documentation. What info do you have if you have o rebuild?

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 19:35
Good luck - re creating stuff from the ground up is an excellent way to make some of those improvements in design and particularly structure you forgot to make the first time round. I've redesigned one system from the ground up and it was well worth it.

I presume you can at least get the data of the old system out. With big systems that have been going for some time the data is as priceless as the system.

richard bro-42

Local time
Today, 11:35
Thanks Ranman256, I wasn't working in IT.
I like Lightwave's reply. I was thinking the same way.
Thanks for the advise guy's you are all correct and I generally learn from my mistakes.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 12:35
Decisions, Decisions....
I am an electrical engineer with an additional education undergrad and CIS graduate degree. I spent years in the Natural Gas sales distribution and then Energy Regulatory / Compliance for Permit, environmental, legal and land management application design with advanced reports.
I documented the SQL Server objects, the Access objects including 2,000 pages of rule based code. Got a call today to discuss something with the same features but customized for different aspect of the industry.
The bigger question is: do I start another programming gig or do I stay on track of acquiring, permitting and supplying licensed water to fast growing industrial hemp farms that are paying me to manage this complex set of rights and regulations?
Industrial Hemp is not the smoking type. It's oils are used to create future new generation of medical treatments.
If Industrial Hemp is something new to you, this is just one of very many companies depending on it:
Neptune Technologies & Bioressources Inc. ("Neptune") (NEPT.TO)(NEPT.TO) today announced that they entered into an agreement for the co-development, commercialization and marketing of purified cannabinoid oil-based products to address pain and inflammation relief applications for the natural health products and pet veterinary markets...

Maybe I should put it up for a vote. It isn't like there are any mentors older than myself to call up. Do I ride the tube 45 minutes each way to work in another office downtown with a view of the Rocky Mountains. Or, do I go to a worksite at 6,500 altitude in a remote snow capped valley and support 200 acres of high-tech greenhouses with deep well ground water systems and ecological water recycling systems a half mile from an epic large State park with a large lake?

Don't intend to hijack this thread. Was just considering the first post and how we had somewhat of the same situation.
Either one is risky. For either one the regulations or price can change and instantly ruin the plan. I only need 36 more months for either one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom