Im a NOOB..what rights do I Have??? (1 Viewer)

HaroldIII

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:56
hey everyone....

I'm not a programmer, (yet) however I work as a private contracter thru a temp agency. I have read alot of the treads under small business and I have to ask. What are my rights to my work??

Im building an Access Database to create an efficant work space here at this company. It started as a single simple query, and so far this database is blossomed into major part of everyday work. I output/email/sort/multiple documents. I provide a dashboard for managers and exec's.

When my contract is up, if they dont offer a permenant position with the company?? what happens to all the work I did? Also, what happens if they do??

Im just curious.....thanks

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 01:56
Because you have written the program on their machines using their sotware and in their premicies the company has IPR to the application. But that does not stop you from making a copy of it and taking it with you. You need to discuss ongoing product support. IF you do not get anything you could always plant a time bomb in the software to self disctruct. Only Joking.:rolleyes:

HaroldIII

Registered User.
Local time
Because you have written the program on their machines using their sotware and in their premicies the company has IPR to the application. But that does not stop you from making a copy of it and taking it with you. You need to discuss ongoing product support. IF you do not get anything you could always plant a time bomb in the software to self disctruct. Only Joking.:rolleyes:

Interesting...Make a copy or blow it up....hmmm....

Is there an app for that:D??? LOL...

Thanks for the info

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
You will need to check your employment contract to see if there is a provision for ownership of intellectual property you create when you are there.

If you are not hired as a programmer in a development or contractor firm, then most likely you do not have that kind of contract.

What does your software do?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:56

although you CAN take a copy with you, it's not clear at all that you could use/market it independently.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
although you CAN take a copy with you, it's not clear at all that you could use/market it independently.

That's why you just change some things and make it completely different code wise. There are hundreds of ways to do most things in code anyway. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom