Win 8 / A 2013 missing or broken reference. (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 01:13
I have Access db that I built that is a 3 month calendar/planner. It has a monthview() / MSComCtl2.MonthView.2 I believe that is was built with using Win 98 OS. It Ran fine until we had to go to win 2000,Win me and win 7 there was a file that MS left out of later Win version that the db need. I could never figure out how to insert that file. I would always put a bid out with virtual workers out of Tamper, FL and someone would take the bid and would use TeamViewer to take control, and fix it for me. All the way up to win 7 Well Virtual Worker sold out to Free Lancer and moved the company to New Zealand and now with win 8 I can get it fixed. Anybody interested in getting on TeamViewer and fixing my db. I will gladly pay any reasonable price. On my win 8 machine when I try and open the calendar it says “ Microsoft database or project contains a missing or broken reference to the file miscomt2.ocx version 2
Dick S

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:13
Hi Dick could you double check the file name in the error is it mscomct2.ocx ? as I couldn't find a reference to a .ocx file without the c (typo maybe :p).

Irrespective you might have to re-register the active x control you should be able to do this manually:

Click Start, type cmd > Right-click the cmd icon, and Run as Administrator > At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

Regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\mscomct2.ocx (or miscomt2.ocx :p)

It's from an older tech net article but I had a very similar problem with a piece of software when installing it under XP and it worked for me (but this is Win 8 after all so I don't accept any responsibility :rolleyes:)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Hi Dick could you double check the file name in the error is it mscomct2.ocx ? as I couldn't find a reference to a .ocx file without the c (typo maybe :p).

Irrespective you might have to re-register the active x control you should be able to do this manually:

Click Start, type cmd > Right-click the cmd icon, and Run as Administrator > At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

Regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\mscomct2.ocx (or miscomt2.ocx :p)

It's from an older tech net article but I had a very similar problem with a piece of software when installing it under XP and it worked for me (but this is Win 8 after all so I don't accept any responsibility :rolleyes:)

Thanks I will give it a try

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
In case someone else can benefit from the answer! After much weeping and gnashing of teeth here it is.

To make calendar work: on windows 8:1
Copy mscomct2.ocx to C:\windows\system 32 and to c:\ C:\windows\syswow64
Then
Right click on start, click command prompt (Admin)
Type in regsvr32 C:\windows\syswow64\mscomct2.ocx
Hit enter

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Or,

Download the file in the link (http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/mscomct2.cab)

Save in a folder somewhere on you file system (for example C:\Downloads\mscomct2)

Open the CAB file and extract the contents (cab and inf files). I used the same folder.

Right click on the inf file and select 'Install'

Sounds better than my method.

Now what is your opinion as to why Microsoft eliminate that file from there
newer OS (s), and do you or anybody else know when the last version of OS included it.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:13
Eventually Microsoft stops supporting legacy files and OS. Programmers start moving to the built-in calendar and abandon the ActiveX version. A few months ago they stopped supporting XP, our school district is still scrambling to convert / dispose of our remaining XP's.

P.S. File version 3/24/2009 might be getting a little long in the tooth:p

Last edited:

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Eventually Microsoft stops supporting legacy files and OS. Programmers start moving to the built-in calendar and abandon the ActiveX version. A few months ago they stopped supporting XP, our school district is still scrambling to convert / dispose of our remaining XP's.

P.S. File version 3/24/2009 might be getting a little long in the tooth:p

That's my take too, make us go to their built in calendar Win 8 and/or Outlook. Its not bad but I like the one I built better.

I might still be just in the learning curve, but so far I am not thrilled with Win 8. I see no use of the whatever its call bar onv the right, I have disabled it. I probable would have put off switching as long as possible if I had not been forced into win 8.

BTW if you want a generic copy of my calendar (no data in it, you are welcome to it free of charge)

Attachments

• dicksCalemdar.zip
    87.5 KB · Views: 142

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:13
Not bad Dick! The first time I ran into the missing "mscomct2" reference, I switched to the built-in version and never looked back. I personally feel the built-in version is more user friendly.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Not bad Dick! The first time I ran into the missing "mscomct2" reference, I switched to the built-in version and never looked back. I personally feel the built-in version is more user friendly.

By the built in version are talking about the CAB you mention earlier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom