"Simple" Web Database (1 Viewer)

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Today, 03:34
I'm trying to decide at the fork in the road between two paths....My friend needs help with a simple database. This will have at least two tables, with a parent child relationship. It is for file storage. Basically this will locate file boxes on a shelf, and add new records as he adds boxes. This will also have "child" information, basically which clients are in which box.

I could absolutely run this down the VBA/Desktop path....with fair results. But, I keep thinking about deployment and maintenance. I'm 900 miles away, and will only visit rarely. I'd like to know I can support him easily from here. That means an easy deployment. Publishing a web app, and giving him the URL sure sounds easy.

It seems like the macros have improved since 2010, and I may be able to pull this off. Also, I like the idea that he can look at this from several computers as needed.

Also, this application will need to interface with a label printer for printing labels for each file box, as well as a standard barcode scanner. This would be setup at a "Main" computer, but it would be nice to be able to look at it from other devices as well.

Thoughts?

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
OK, so it's been four days.....Most times I get a response in minutes off of this site. I guess I should take that to mean that no one is using these new Access "Web Databases"? I've heard negatives on them such as not being able to accomplish what is needed with the limited macros.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 05:34
Whenever I work on the web I use php/MySQL. 10 years ago tried to convert an Access database to the web, just seemed impossible so turned to php/MySQL and never looked back at it again.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 12:34
Doing some homework yourself would also have advanced your cause. E.g. reading the sticky at the top.

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Thanks Guys....

Spike,
I actually did read the sticky. It just doesn't really give any feedback as to whether or not the actual "Web" databases in Access 2013 and 2010 are actually being utilized by anyone...or how they are working.

The "SQL db in the cloud" Route seems like a good option, but I ideally I would like to remove any sort of FE.

Plog,
Does php have any reporting capabilities? I need 1 simple report for this db...a label to be printed out for the boxes.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 05:34
php is a language, like VBA so that's not really a relevant question. The last time I created mailing labels from the web I did so by using a php class that delivered a .pdf document. In that type of document you can control print spacing better and create labels.

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Plog,
Thanks for the update...I took a quick look a php last night, but as an amateur programmer, I don't think my time is best spent learning this language. I won't ever use it enough to gain proficiency.

Heres an interesting video on Access 2013 and it's web apps....looks like it was put on by the Microsoft Access developers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keKLABD0XMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom