I Need Help (1 Viewer)

jeremypaule

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:22
I need to burn a disc that includes shortcuts. The short cuts are directed to an exe file and another file it needs to open. currently on the network the short cut link looks like...

G:\Sims_Cbt\Pmcfinal\Runa3w.exe G:\Sims_Cbt\vol2\020101.app (all on the same target)

I need to be able to burn this and have people look at it. The thing is I need some type of wild card for their default drive because the CDROM drive can be ever changing. I've tried..

.\Sims_Cbt\Pmcfinal\Runa3w.exe .\Sims_Cbt\vol2\020101.app

but that doesn't seem to work. if this doesn't make sense ask me any questions. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!

Last edited:

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 16:22
You could use the Dir function to see if the path exist.

jeremypaule

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the reply.. could you show me how that would look ?

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 16:22
Look up DIR and the File System Object in VBA help. There should be some examples.

jeremypaule

Registered User.
Local time
I believe youre talking about command prompt? if not my question has absolutely nothing to do with Access.

bluenose76

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:22
Hi,

I am a little lost? I am confused as to why you are looking for a wildcard for the CD-ROM?

You say that the files are located on the network? if this is the case and you create a shortcut on your machine and then copy that same shortcut to another then it would still work.

The CD-ROM Drive by default is normally given then drive letter of D:\ and as a generaly rule of thumb administrators leave it as this.

I am not saying that i know the answert to your question but if you could expand a littel more then I can at least say if i can or cannot help you

Regards
Bev

jeremypaule

Registered User.
Local time
sorry for being confusing but it's kind of hard to word my question.

Well, I also assumed that if I burned a shortcut from the Network it would change the shortcut directory according to the disc, but it doesn't.

I burned the CD with the shortcuts and the .exe and .app file that it needs to run and it'll work fine on my computer. Although, in a different 'environment' it won't work because the short link is still directed to the G: ... is this a little clearer?

Do you think I should just change it to D: manually? Or is there some way to make it route to a default directory?

bluenose76

Registered User.
Local time
jeremypaule said:
sorry for being confusing but it's kind of hard to word my question.

Well, I also assumed that if I burned a shortcut from the Network it would change the shortcut directory according to the disc, but it doesn't.

I burned the CD with the shortcuts and the .exe and .app file that it needs to run and it'll work fine on my computer. Although, in a different 'environment' it won't work because the short link is still directed to the G: ... is this a little clearer?

Do you think I should just change it to D: manually? Or is there some way to make it route to a default directory?
?

Im sorry if I am not getting this straight away.

From what you are telling me, I take it that the executable file is on your network? is this correct?

If it is on the network then it does not matter about the drive letter of your CD-ROM.

providing you create a shotcut that works for you, then burnt hose shortcuts to CD as you stated, then they will work from any machine that is connected to your network. Providing they have sufficient privelages to run the application.

Or are you trying to copy the applications from the network, including shortcuts so that someone else may use them on a different machine? if it is the latter then ther "may" be a solution.

Bev

jeremypaule

Registered User.
Local time
This image may help understanding this a little more. After opening the .exe alone it will open this... (image below)

What the short cut does is open the .exe file above and also an .app file at the same time, resulting in this opening(which is all I want opening)...

jeremypaule

Registered User.
Local time
blue- I responded before your response, but these files will be looked at by Lawyers so they will NOT have access to our network drives. We need to make it easy for them to navigate through since you know... they are lawyers =P

bluenose76

Registered User.
Local time
Ok,

What you need to do is associate your .APP files to your SIMS programe as the default program for those files. to do this, right mouse click on your .APP file and choose open with. Ensure that you have a tick in the field that says

"Alwayse use the selected program to open this kind of file"

Locate your SIMS application from the list of browse for it and then once highlighted click on ok. the file you right clicked on will now open.

once you have doen this, what you have to do now is to create a shortcut to the file and not the application.

when you then execute the shortcut the application will automatically open for you with that picture you displayed above.

I hope that this solves your dilema and good luck

Bev

jeremypaule

Registered User.
Local time
Will this work if the other user doesn't have SIMs on their computer?

bluenose76

Registered User.
Local time
quite simply no.

when you install an application it puts entries in to many different places and is not just the executable file .EXE

because of this you would not be able to copy this to a CD-ROM as it would not work on its own without the other files on the system.

Incidently i am sure there would be legal issues also with the redistribution of software.

jeremypaule

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks alot! hopefully I can figure out a way to get this to work.

Last edited:

jeremypaule

Registered User.
Local time
hmm actually I think we both got confused. The program isn't SIMs the program is like a powerpoint type thing about SIMs. I'll keep trying to research.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
You didn't even give it a couple minutes before double posting. If your post has nothing to do with Access, DO NOT post it in the Access section. This section is visitted regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom