is windows vista good for gaming (1 Viewer)

Acused

Local time
Today, 06:05
is windows vista good for gaming?

Local time
Yesterday, 19:35
So far, for me. I just got it 2 weeks ago, though. WoW runs great and my son is running Combat Arms, which will not run on his XP machine.

I turned off all the crappy Vista security before I even tried installing, though.

Local time
Yesterday, 19:35
Oh, I forgot, I tried to install Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 (one of my favorite 2D games) and it doesn't run on Vista, even in compatibility mode.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:35
It depends on what you mean by good - visually you'll benefit if you have a DirectX 10 compatible graphics card as Vista supports it (XP doesn't). The latest games are written with DirectX 10 in mind so you'll also need a decent PC to run them anyway ;).

As far as backwards compatability goes it can be a mine field - some will work some won't, the most popular ones people will make hack's/ patches/ work arounds. You can always run a dual boot machine (that's what I'll be doing with my new shiny PC :p).

In general if your PC can run Vista smoothly so should be fine plus with the latest games you'll benefit from better visuals (if the game supports DirectX 10) - post your PC specs and I can give you an idea of the performance you can expect with Vista over XP.

ASherbuck

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:35
I was concerned that I would have hard times with Vista Ultimate, but I popped it on anyway. I only have 2 gigs of ram, that was my concern.

Vista gave me a huge performance boost in Age of Conan and Mass Effect. I was very impressed.

AoC usually chopped at about 15 - 20 FPS, it's not easily over 30 fps and all the settings are on high.

Mass Effect used to be blurry at a distance, now it's nice and sharp.

I want to note, that I do not have a DX10 video card either, I have a radeon x1950 512, so it's a big card but still isn't crossfired with another or on Dx10.

Vista launch tanked, heck it train wrecked. But SP1 seems to be treating me well, as I no longer run it on just my laptop but one of my home PCs as well. Just tweak all the security warnings out and make it look like XP and it's like a really nice XP Pro Box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom