Using Batch Files on the web (1 Viewer)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 16:34
some of our users and visitors don't have a clue about ms access, as I've learned that a lot of people don't unless they're "not" recreational users of computers. so, to combat this when i need to send software out for various purposes, I put up a zip file that has a batch file inside of it. my original intention (and only way i thought it could be done) was to have the requester of software check their access version first with my "AccessCheck" file download link i put up on the web. i have in the last couple of days come to learn that even though this batch file is compressed in a zip folder, anyone can choose "open" from the dialog and simply double click the file and the code will run as though it was right on their local machine. not to mention possible legal consequences of this, i'm wondering if anyone thinks i should change my faq page on using this file and just tell the users to choose open instead of save, so it's less hassle for them. i don't really see anything wrong with it...i just had no idea you could access local machine information in this way. :eek:

i can't do it with ff because i sent it to automatically download zip's without asking first. but with ie it is still doing this. if anyone wants to try it and see if they can't open it and run it, the link is here

Last edited:

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 21:34
Can't you run some script to check the registery to determine the current version of Access installed on the machine? Also what happens if they have more than one version installed?

David

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 16:34
Can't you run some script to check the registery to determine the current version of Access installed on the machine? Also what happens if they have more than one version installed?

David
i don't think i know how david. are you talking about doing smoething like that with a server side language like php? wouldn't that borderline illegal? if that can happen, who's to say hackers wouldn't utilize that method to get to your machine?

this file simply looks for the uniform MS office parent directories. e.g. - office 8/9/10/11/12. it looks to see if the file msaccess.exe is in the parent dir of microsoft > office dir on the 'c' drive. isn't that good enuf?

also, having two versions is irrelevant in this case, because the bat will return the oldest version, which will not cause problems for me sending out software. I use my custom DOS installer package for people with access, and use the RT packager for developers in 2007 for people that do not have it.

bulrush

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:34
Logic would say that, if the user's do not know enough to find the version of access they are using, and which update file to download, then they should not be updating their own software. They need an IT guy to do that onsite.

But I also realize some businesses simply won't hire an IT person.

Also, I install my MS Access into non-standard directories. How does your update handle that?

My directories are called "MS Office00" and "MS Office03", so it appears I have 2 versions of Access on my Windows PC.

Also, how do you handle Windows Vista? I believe that version of Windows got rid of a DOS box entirely. Do you use Dr-DOS or some other DOS-like shell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom