Access/SQL migration to SharePoint (1 Viewer)

pcnetmd

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:09
I have a client (Non-Profit Org) with an Access 2003 app as a front end to a SQL 2000 database using ODBC connectivity. Multiple users access the SQL db using the Access 2003 db front end app from XP workstations running Access 2007.

My ultimate goal is to get the clients SQL database upgraded to SQL 2008, and then upgrade/move/export/migrate the Access 2003 front end app to SharePoint.

I have read many articles and posts, but no two agree on the process to migrate to SharePoint. Most recommend the SQL 2000 to SQL 2008 migration as the first step, but they diverge from there. (I have migrated/exported the SQL 2000 db to SQL 2008, on another server, and tested the Access 2003 front end app without any apparent problems.) Some, recommend upgrading the Access 2000 app to Access 2007 (MDB to ACCDB) without changes to the MDB. And, some have recommended changing the Forms and Reports to Web pages before migrating the MDB to ACCDB. Then many recommed moving the ACCDB to SharePoint.

Any suggestions as to what would be the correct process for acheiving my goal as quickly, and painlessly, as possible?

Thank you,
PCnetMD

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 10:09
I have a client (Non-Profit Org) with an Access 2003 app as a front end to a SQL 2000 database using ODBC connectivity. Multiple users access the SQL db using the Access 2003 db front end app from XP workstations running Access 2007.

My ultimate goal is to get the clients SQL database upgraded to SQL 2008, and then upgrade/move/export/migrate the Access 2003 front end app to SharePoint.

I have read many articles and posts, but no two agree on the process to migrate to SharePoint. Most recommend the SQL 2000 to SQL 2008 migration as the first step, but they diverge from there. (I have migrated/exported the SQL 2000 db to SQL 2008, on another server, and tested the Access 2003 front end app without any apparent problems.) Some, recommend upgrading the Access 2000 app to Access 2007 (MDB to ACCDB) without changes to the MDB. And, some have recommended changing the Forms and Reports to Web pages before migrating the MDB to ACCDB. Then many recommed moving the ACCDB to SharePoint.

Any suggestions as to what would be the correct process for acheiving my goal as quickly, and painlessly, as possible?

Thank you,
PCnetMD

If your Access Database is relational now, in other words normalized, you will lose most of your functionality and create a huge mess of non usable data.

Good Luck, they tried that at TSA and now they are trying to undo it.

The lure of SharePoint is easy user control.

The problem with SharePoint is that it is primarily flat.

In the SSI Branch (TSA) where I was both the SharePoint guy and the Access developer we created a system with the best of both worlds. We built forms (list) on SharePoint for lazy managers to use, and then we created links to our Access Databases for the analyst (Federal term for workers) to use, and we linked them together with queries.

Problems solved. Next we created robust reports in Access, (not possible in SharePoint without extensive .Net development), and the managers were happy.

SharePoint is so over used and in mostly the wrong places. The Federal Government is backing off of the idea of SharePoint as a Panacea.

Good Luck. I hope you like having grey hair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom