MS DOS Syntax (1 Viewer)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 00:47
I have a few questions about this subject. Is there anyone out there that has a good grasp on DOS commands? I'm really getting tired of using the mouse for everything I do (command wise), and since I type about 80 words a minute, using DOS to navigate through directories and view what's on the computer is a great time saver!

It is really annoying to have to move the cursor around, click a folder, then wait for the macro to run in order to open up that folder, etc, etc...
This gets to be pretty darn slow when you've got 5 or more applications running at the same time, believe it or not!

Anyway, the point here is that I am probably going to start navigating my computer through DOS instead of Windows. Anyone like this subject, or care to discuss the syntax?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:47
I still use DOS all the time though mainly for troubleshooting network devices and only occasionally in the repair console or for launching some apps. Though can't remember all the command I used to kno wwhen I actually used DOS as my O/S :p

The syntax is fairly straight forward for basic commands though there can be a lot of switches for say format for example ([/Q] [/1] [/4] [/8] [/B | /S] [/C]).

command drive switch

Here's a good place to start, you'll find certain ones are quicker to use than Windows some not so.

This gets to be pretty darn slow when you've got 5 or more applications running at the same time, believe it or not!

Now here the downside, DOS is only a DOS emulation the application you launch using DOS will still have to open in the Windows shell so it's impossible to actually speed up the opening process using DOS the only thing you are doing is not navigating with a mouse and clicking on an icon.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
http://www.computerhope.com/formathl.htm HA! I already have that site bookmarked. Thanks though...

the application you launch using DOS will still have to open in the Windows shell so it's impossible to actually speed up the opening process using DOS the only thing you are doing is not navigating with a mouse and clicking on an icon.
Oh, I know! I am using DOS strictly for navigation purposes. It's wonderful (so far)...

Look at all those directories... :)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Sweet! That'll be really useful. Thanks!

Got another question for you, if you don't mind: Take a look at post #5 in this thread...
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=143793

I'm trying to figure that stuff out. I wonder if I can manipulate the process of stuff like that with DOS batch files. Do you think that's possible?

I would love some syntax :p heh...maybe something like Minkey's Code.bat?? :D

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
I did look at this thread and tbh got a little confused.

If you want the mdb to start whenever anyone log's in simply place a shortcut to the database into the C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder (you have to be an admin of course) then it will start despite anyone that logs in.

Regards the shutdown, the database will shutdown anyway when anyone logs off you would just have to make sure that your database is designed to save changes automatically when a change is made, then you won't have to worry about any dialog boxes.

I don't want to go off topic but if this is what you want then great (post it in the original thread) if not PM me exactly what you want to do and I'll think about it :p

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Yeah, sorry about that.

I will probably create some .bat's

There are a few things I still can't figure out though (1 I already got):
*Jumping to a deep sub within a main DIR. But, you already told me. Thanks! :)

**Deleting a main DIR and all of the subs in it. I have tried DELTREE, but it doesn't work for me. I am on Vista. It's not even a recognized command! :confused:

***CHDIR.. (w/ 2 periods) works for backtracking one SUB. But, any more trailing periods will not do anything (i.e. - 5 of them will not take me back 5 subs. It stays in the current DIR. Do you know the changes that were made for Vista?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
**Deleting a main DIR and all of the subs in it. I have tried DELTREE, but it doesn't work for me. I am on Vista. It's not even a recognized command! :confused:

It's not it was removed from all versions of iirc Windows 2000 forward, instead use rd (remove directory)

***CHDIR.. (w/ 2 periods) works for backtracking one SUB. But, any more trailing periods will not do anything (i.e. - 5 of them will not take me back 5 subs. It stays in the current DIR. Do you know the changes that were made for Vista?

The 2 periods are to navigate you back to the parent directory not a specific level. You can't use more than 2 to navigate back more than the parent.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
It's not it was removed from all versions of iirc Windows 2000 forward, instead use rd (remove directory)
It's funny you say that Minkey, because RD doesn't do it for me either. However, ERASE does do it. Oddly enough. :rolleyes: I'm talking about removing actual "folders" though, not just the files in them. RD removes any and all files in the directory I specify, but not the actual folder, which is strange, but whatever...
The 2 periods are to navigate you back to the parent directory not a specific level. You can't use more than 2 to navigate back more than the parent.
So, there's no option with this? That kinda sucks, if you ask me...

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
It's funny you say that Minkey, because RD doesn't do it for me either. However, ERASE does do it. Oddly enough. I'm talking about removing actual "folders" though, not just the files in them. RD removes any and all files in the directory I specify, but not the actual folder, which is strange, but whatever...

Use the /s switch that will also delete the folder as by default rd will only remove the folder if it's empty. you can also use the /q switch to do this quietly i.e. without the are you sure prompt.

So it would be rd test /s /q (or the switches could be first can't remember)

So, there's no option with this? That kinda sucks, if you ask me...

Remember you dealing with DOS here it's won't feel very clever compared to Windows. The only thing DOS 'remembers' is your last command.

You can go to any folder you like you just have to know where it is for example:

If I'm in let's say d:\media\video\clips\flash\youtube\funny and you want to go back 5 levels to d:\media, why no simply type cd d:\media ;)

Just thought this is a great nostalgic trip for me I'm remembering loads about DOS :)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 06:47
I don't know, all those whizz kids spend their time trying to make things simple and you want to take astep back in time, next thing you know you will be peering into a CRT whist setting bits on or off. :D
(been there done that its a pain)

Brian

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Use the /s switch that will also delete the folder as by default rd will only remove the folder if it's empty.
Wow, I didn't know that. I only used the /s switch when viewing directories. Thanks!
Just thought this is a great nostalgic trip for me I'm remembering loads about DOS :)
So am I, and as a matter of fact, I now do loads of file copying and redirecting through it. It is so much faster than windows. My father was trying to copy music files from one computer to another yesterday, and he was doing it all through a 1GB USB key. He told me it would take all day. The file transfer from the WIN. icon to the USB was taking about 5 minutes each. I asked him why he couldn't just do it in DOS. I wonder how much time that would save? Not having to deal with the Windows graphics (and their memory hogging ability) is the best part of it!

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
I don't know, all those whizz kids spend their time trying to make things simple and you want to take astep back in time, next thing you know you will be peering into a CRT whist setting bits on or off. :D
(been there done that its a pain)

Brian

:D My fondest memory of DOS was the autoexec.bat and (links for the whipper snappers around here :p) ah the hours spent manually configuring the port address IRQ and DMA setting's for your new 14.4k modem, changing the files, stacks and buffer settings for each game you wanted to play :p

ajetrumpet said:
That's true it is very efficient, in fact come to think of I don't know why I don't use it more for things like this :rolleyes:

This is a little of topic but I think interesting - the only reason DOS and indeed Microsoft existed (as the giant they are now) is because Gary Kildall of Digital Research refused to sign a non-disclosure agreement with IBM when they went to him for an O/S, so they went to back to Bill Gates of small software company called Microsoft and he got the gig (he was the one who suggested they contact Gary Kildall in the first place as Microsoft had never written an O/S before).

In fact they never really wrote the majority of DOS they bought the rights of an O/S (called QDOS) from Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer Products*, kept the IBM deal a secret from him, and got IBM to allow him to retain the rights for DOS (i.e. not just for IBM PC's) making Microsoft who they are now - how much did it cost Microsoft to buy QDOS ? - $50,000 :eek:

* In fact he reverse engineered QDOS from someone else's O/S :rolleyes:

(sorry I watched revenge of the nerds lately ;))

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Minkey,

To you, what is the difference between the forward and backward slash?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Forward slash = /
Backward (or back) slash = \

I think I know what your getting at :p hard core oldies will tell you there is no such thing as a forward slash "it was invented by the evil Microsoft" :rolleyes: technically (or more accurately) it's slash (/) and backslash (\) but IMO forward and back (sic slash) are perfectly acceptable.

M

Mike375

I still use .bat files

A simple little fellow..run 'em with macro.

c:
cd\spareletters
copy 0AXA.doc \letters
copy 0AXABlank.doc \letters:D

Copy con filename.bat
Cd\
whatever
ControlZ and Enter:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom