JAVA and MacroMedia Player (1 Viewer)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 12:41
I have a general question about the MacroMedia plug-in folks:

I am currently dealing with a software package download that includes proprietary software, along with the newest Java Version and the MacroMedia plug-in software. Some of the people I deal with can download this package and run the software with absolutely no problem, but others cannot get the MacroMedia software either installed, or to play within the software applets. Most of them that cannot run the player within the software do get a confirmation of the installation with the shield. After investigating some of the this, I found out that most of these people actually have the plug-in installed, because we can find it in the programs list through the control panel. But, under the Add-ons menu in IE 6 or 7 (doesn't matter), the MacroMedia player is not listed. Could this possibly be due to security features that are installed on the machines that these people use? MacroMedia is an Active X control, so I'm thinking that if this software is indeed installed on their machines, and it's not listed in the Add-ons menu, then something else is blocking Active X controls from running. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:41
I found out that most of these people actually have the plug-in installed, because we can find it in the programs list through the control panel

I don't think it does. BTW I assume you mean the flash plug-in ? which I have installed and you don't see it anywhere.

Could this possibly be due to security features that are installed on the machines that these people use?

Absolutely - What I would do is make sure when the plug-in is installed by an admin with full admin rights on the machines. For the security setting in IE they'll need to make sure ActiveX controls are enabled properly. Go to Internet Options > Security > Custom Level and scroll down to ActiveX controls and plug-ins.

Warning ! - Don't get them to active everything ensure they only enable (or prompt) for the bits they need, they may need to experiment a little. Though their IT guys should be able to sort it out ;)

One other thing is they can check Java plug-in is enabled from Internet Options > Programs > Manage Addon's and select show Downloaded ActiveX Controls (32bit). Java should be listed as Enabled

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 12:41
I have yet to understand this stuff Minkey. But you've been very helpful, so thanks! :)

I downloaded the JDK the other day, and of course I got the JVM and the JRE with it (if you can follow the abbreviation nation there!). I'm learning it, because it's obviously HUGE for internet usage.

How important is it by the way?? Do you know?? I mean, how much internet usage and page viewing would be disabled without having the JRE platform on a machine??

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom