A import problem that I need to tackle (1 Viewer)

Yecats131

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:02
Hello!

So, I'm currently teaching myself Access as I go along. I have basic VB knowledge as well. The problem that I need to tackle is the following:

I have a table that contains several fields... The 3 that have to deal with this are: Req#, Status, and Status date.

Req number: primary Key
status date: Will Change

So, I have a spread sheet from another program that is ran once a week that contains the req# and new status information for those particular requisitions. Rather then going into the table one by one and changing the status and date myself... I want to know if there is a way to set it up to have the spreadsheet with the new information imported into access and automatically change the status information over.

Please let me know if I'm not making any sense... :0)

Thanks!

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
Import the spreadsheet then run an update query to update the status and date.

Yecats131

Registered User.
Local time
In noob speak please :)

Yecats131

Registered User.
Local time
Okay, so I've ready over the tutorials and Help sites that were provided to me. It looks like a Update Quary only allows you to update information built in.... which doesn't help.

(Replace ___ with ____ if x condition is met)

What I have is a spreadsheet with a list of requisition numbers who's status information needs to be updated.

When I import an excel spreadsheet directly, does it locate the Primary Key (Requisition number) and update the information accordingly?

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
What do you mean by built in? An update query will update infomation in a field.

G37Sam

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:02
Hello,

you can use the Docmd.transferspreadsheet method, this will transfer contents of a spreadsheet into a table, you can then use a query to update whatever data you need from another table

regards,
Samer

odin1701

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:02
Okay, so I've ready over the tutorials and Help sites that were provided to me. It looks like a Update Quary only allows you to update information built in.... which doesn't help.

(Replace ___ with ____ if x condition is met)

What I have is a spreadsheet with a list of requisition numbers who's status information needs to be updated.

When I import an excel spreadsheet directly, does it locate the Primary Key (Requisition number) and update the information accordingly?

If you tell it to.

You need to have a condition put on the primary key.

So if it's the Req#, then you just need to have the update query match the Req# from your temporary import table to the main table, then update the status field from the temporary import table.

The query will only change data where the two Req#'s are equal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom