No Treeview control in Access 2010 & windows 10 64 bit (1 Viewer)

Dave 14867

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:47
Hello all,

This is driving me crazy, and it is beginning to be a very short drive. I am by no means a rocket scientist when it comes to this stuff but I have always gotten by.

I am running Windows 10 64 bit on my home laptop and access 2010. I am trying to use a Treeview control however, it is not available in the activex controls. I have copied over and registered the mscomctl.ocx file successfully but I still don't have the control available.

Please help.

Thanks in advance
Dave

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 09:47
I believe the mscomctl.ocx file cannot be used in 64-bit Windows 10

Dave 14867

Registered User.
Local time
Ridders,

How can I get a treeview control then?
The system did register it OK.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
the bit you have not mentioned is the bit of Office. I don't believe there is a treeview control in 64 bit office, only 32bit.

You may find this link helpful, the code is free but they would appreciate a donation

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/treeview.asp

Dave 14867

Registered User.
Local time
CJ_London,

I thought I was running 32 bit office but I just checked and it is 32 Bit. How do I change it to 32 bit? Did it install 64 bit by default because it is a 64 bit operating system?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
but I just checked and it is 32 Bit. How do I change it to 32 bit?
huh? I assume you mean you have installed 64bit - you have to deinstall then reinstall

Did it install 64 bit by default because it is a 64 bit operating system?
no, you would have chosen it and would have been warned about the limitations of 64bit - most people are using it either because they really do need it for Excel (the only app that makes use of 64bit) or they thing it is better

Dave 14867

Registered User.
Local time
CJ_London,

Yes I meant it was 64 bit.

I am uninstalling it not and will re-install as 32 bit.

Will update thread when completed.

Thanks

Dave

Dave 14867

Registered User.
Local time
Re-Installing as 32 bit has made the controls available, Thanks CJ_London for suggesting that.

Now I can at least follow along with the tutorials I have been trying to learn from.

I do appreciate all the help and suggestions on this and other forums and I do take to heart all of the guidance you all offer. I have learned that the ActiveX controls are not the best method to use and will most definitely not use them in the end but until I get a better understanding of VBA and Access, I am learning buy on-line tutorials and that is hard if you can follow along with what they are trying to point out.

I am also reading up on all of this to try to understand better what is going on in the code, but quite honestly right now, it's like trying to read Chinese or some other foreign language, but I hope to get there. I envy all of you that can look at code and totally understand every line just like it is English.

Thanks
Dave

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Now I can at least follow along with the tutorials I have been trying to learn from.
with respect, little point in following tutorials for coding which is or will shortly become defunct. if you have a specific need for a treeview control, recommend you take a closer look at the link I provided.

You may be on 32 bit now, but at some point 32bit will no longer be available (or your company/client requires 64bit office for some reason) and MS has no plans to replicate mscomctl.ocx as 64bit.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 17:47
there is an Alternative Treeview control, which actually does not use Treeview.
this i think written in MS Form.
but you need to learn from the example.

Dave 14867

Registered User.
Local time
CJ_London,

I had already downloaded the sample files from the link you provided, someone else had suggested that on a different post that I had found when reasearching this issue over the weekend, so I wasn't ignoring your suggestion at all. That code is full of all sorts of extra stuff and right now, until I get up to speed more on the code, I just wanted to concentrate on the treeview control supplied.

arnelgp,

I love your quote, it is so very true.

again Many Thanks,

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom