Linking databases (1 Viewer)

Holly McWhat

Local time
Today, 02:49
Ok this may be a stupid question but I'm still super new at this and have only been developing my skills for the last year.
Can I link one table to multiple front ends?
For example, I have 5 different databases for different Engineering/Quality functions. In each of these a new record is opened by an employee. So they each have an employee table in them right now.
But to me that breaks the rules of normalization.
So how do I deal with this? Can my one employee table feed the 5 different front ends?
I hope this question makes sense.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:49
Not a stupid question, and sure, different front ends can connect to the same back end. A front end can connect to different back ends as well. You certainly don't want to try and maintain the employee data in more than one place.

Holly McWhat

Local time
Today, 02:49
So how do I go about linking the tables?
Like in my head it seems like it would be a many to many. But I'm not sure how to get the data back and forth.
I tried this morning and linked a front end to the employee back end and entered the data in the front end but it wasn't populating in the back end.
I tried to refresh the links and it still wasn't grabbing the data. Is there an extra step I'm missing?
Sorry it took me a few days to get back to you I had some blissful time off.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:49
You would go through the External Data/Link process for each different back end you wanted to link to. Make sure your form is bound to the appropriate linked table, not a local copy.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:49
If you open the MSysObjects table, you can see the BE each table is linked to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom