table issues (1 Viewer)

_jxdq

Local time
Today, 15:19
Hey all,

I am enjoying this forum after browsing for the last hour. Looks like this will be my favorite for learning access. I’m a newbie with Access/Excel.

So, when a user types inside the form “this is a test for forums eyes” It will appear in the next row that has blank data. I was wondering how to create two columns, where behind the scenes can be edit or things added and the form data will start out at row 1 then go down? Instead of the next row that has no data. After playing with it, might have something to do with the proper cycle, record locks and which command button.

Is there a way where I can link this to another access file, as a backup so even if things are removed in original access tables, the other access file is not reflected/changed?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 15:19
I believe you need a new table (but your explanation is a little confusing). Here's what I inferred:

You have one Customer called 'Test' and that customer has multiple Sales Orders. Instead of typing Test for each Sales Order, you want to do it once, then after that all Sales Order data you type in should be assigned to him? Correct?

If so, you need a new table (and form). You would have a table called Customers which will assign an autonumber primary key (google that) to every customer. In that table you will put the customers name, address, height/weight, astrological sign, etc. that you want to associate with the customer.

Then the existing table you have will be slightly reconfigured. You will remove [Customer Name] field and instead have [CustomerID] which will hold the value of that autonumber primary key I mentioned.

For forms, you will have 1 based on Customers which will provide inputs for all the fields in the Customers table and at the bottom a sub-form based on your existing table which allows you to enter Sales Orders for them.

Also, don't put any non-alphanumeric characters in table/field names. Spaces, slashes, dashes, percent signs etc. just make it harder to write queries and code down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom